.204 rifle.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

biglongdarren

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
20+
Hey does anyone on here own one of these, thinking of taking a step up from the .17hmr and getting one of these.

Darren

Not particularly up to speed on rifles these days. Are these rim or centre fire?

Treble 2, 2250 and 270 were always the considerable steps up in power and accuracy over the 0.22 rim fire. Not come across either of those two calibres mentioned.

For the same muzzle power, the lighter projectile will have a flatter trajectory over the shorter ranges, simply because of the higher velocity with the same drop, due to gravity, over the same time period. Windage factors would benefit the heavier load. So a lot would depend on type of target and range, I would think.

I used to find that sub-sonic shorts gave better accuracy (over the more limited range) than long rifle high power 0.22 rim fire, but that was a long time ago with a Browning T-bolt.

RAB

.22?

Cheaper ammo than a .17

great for shooting rabbits. Tend to ricochet more than a .17 which is why the police try and get people to use a .17 rather than a .22.

.17 lighter ammo. longer range with flatter trajectory but more affected by wind

A great gun. Useful to have both (and with sound moderators - you need to apply for that as well - just say H&S reasons for needing one)

Bit of overkill for varroa mites or small hive beetle

you seem to imply that the ricochet is down to the rifle, which it's not, it's down to the shooter and the shot taken,

No, it's down to the round....slow heavy lump will ricochet.

Without getting into the "my rifles better than yours" boring argument, my Police force won't allow .17 hmr for fox.....it's too light. They don't really like .22 either.

Last edited:
Fast heavy lump will ricochet as well.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ABGIJwiGBc"]Guy hit in head with .50 caliber ricochet - YouTube[/ame]

Back