Queen improvement for an idiot

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Originally Posted by Stedic View Post
So next year I would like to start a little bit of queen breeding.

I'm going to attempt to do it using the Nicot cups because I accidentally got excited and bought a set online. I've read an eBook about the system which seems to make sense to me. We'll see what happens.

What I'm wondering is how effective any selection will be with my 6 colonies. Essentially they have all come from 3 swarms in different areas so there is no obvious bloodline to any of them. Their characteristics vary of course but there is no clear leader.

Is it worth trying to use what I have to improve, or do I need to import some genetics into the apiary (I don't mean from abroad, rather from outside of the apiary).
Breed from your best - the last to swarm if they are swarmy for example - and keep doing this for a few years and they should improve.

Agree with that... forget all the DNA gobblegook.... also there is nothing wrong in bringing in some breeder queens from another Beeks apiary... if you like their traits!

Chons da

Last edited:
What I'm wondering is how effective any selection will be with my 6 colonies.

, or do I need to import some genetics into the apiary !

Chons da

Mostly I have had 20 hives. IT is difficult to find from this number suitable mother Queen. The result has been inbreeding problems, if I graft own queens.

Last edited:
Mostly I have had 20 hives. IT is difficult to find from this number suitable mother Queen. The result has been inbreeding problems, if I graft own queens.

The cut and paste method of distorting facts to discredit the original poster... also known as TROLLING !!!

Originally Posted by Cheers View Post

Chons da

My reply....Agree with that... forget all the DNA gobblegook.... also there is nothing wrong in bringing in some breeder queens from another Beeks apiary... if you like their traits!

cut and pasted from ...

Is it worth trying to use what I have to improve, or do I need to import some genetics into the apiary

Unquestionably we run considerably more than 6 colonies........
Never mind little snow fairy the snow will all be gone .... by May?

Last edited:
:bump:
The cut and paste method of distorting facts to discredit the original poster... also known as TROLLING !!!

Originally Posted by Cheers View Post

Chons da

My reply....Agree with that... forget all the DNA gobblegook.... also there is nothing wrong in bringing in some breeder queens from another Beeks apiary... if you like their traits!

cut and pasted from ...

Is it worth trying to use what I have to improve, or do I need to import some genetics into the apiary

Unquestionably we run considerably more than 6 colonies........
Never mind little snow fairy the snow will all be gone .... by May?

Such original rubbish today.... From idiot...

Last edited:
I run anything between 10 and 16 hives. For years now I have raised queens from my better colonies and steadily my bees have improved. However I think it is more down to ruthless culling of queens with undesirable traits which has led to a year on year improvement.

I run anything between 10 and 16 hives. For years now I have raised queens from my better colonies and steadily my bees have improved. However I think it is more down to ruthless culling of queens with undesirable traits which has led to a year on year improvement.

Don't forget the drones!
What are your neighbours doing? If they are doing any sort of serious bee improvement, you are benefiting from their work.

You could always add your usual bedtime Finnish Vodka to it for a bit more of a kick!

Gentlemen, PLEASE!

The thread may be entititled; "Queen improvement for an idiot" but, there is no need to behave like one! GROW UP both of you!

I suspect most beekeeping organisations tell their members to avoid the internet like the plague. Your expectations derive from local chit-chat. If you expect your bees to swarm every year (Eire) or light a candle if they survive the winter and don't eat you out of house and home then the bees are doing well.
What I saying is there isn't enought comparative, objective data to make sense of what is best!

Latest posts

Back