Queen improvement for an idiot

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How swarming and supercedure are alternatives?

Swarming's purpose is reproduction and supercedure's purpose is to renew the Queen.

Swarming is bees' only way to reproduce.

So supercedure is the bees' only way to renew the queen? Actually swarming is the mode that some colonies employ to requeen. These colonies will swarm, year after year. Once a good number of your stocks employ the supercedure mode, well, honey crop improves, labor is reduced, and you find some absolutely excellent stocks to breed from.

But, from your dogma coming through in your posts...I guess you disagree?

So supercedure is the bees' only way to renew the queen? Actually swarming is the mode that some colonies employ to requeen. These colonies will swarm, year after year. Once a good number of your stocks employ the supercedure mode, ?

Do not waste your only life

Last edited:
Yep, and I find some that go on for years and years. Never have to re-queen. Always top producers. Obviously they supercede, but don't miss a beat.

Now what was all this about sustainability? :)

.... requeening every year is another doubtful method of sustainability.... but probably works if the beekeeper does not loose all the colony?

Cheers

Ice Ace has generated alternative science for idiots.

And loosing the whole hive ...when I change the queen?

Last edited:
Yep, and I find some that go on for years and years. Never have to re-queen. Always top producers. Obviously they supercede, but don't miss a beat.

Now what was all this about sustainability? :)

:winner1st:

Also 2nd year queens are great to graft from..... and Finnie accuses us lot of catch and release beekeepering!!

Roll on Summer!!!

:calmdown:

:winner1st:

Also 2nd year queens are great to graft from..... and Finnie accuses us lot of catch and release beekeepering!!

Roll on Summer!!!

:calmdown:

I buy grafting queens from professional breeders. Then I keep out inbreeding. Rol roll

Also 2nd year queens are great to graft from....:

I agree.

To be clear, a queens performance can't be assessed until she has her own workers around her. That will take you up to Autumn of the year of her birth. She then has to over-winter and performance tests carried out during the following season. She is still only a 1 year old. The season following her second winter makes her a two-year old.
Now, the breeding values aren't published until the February of her second year....so, it's really only at this point that I know which are truly worth breeding from. I will raise some early daughter queens from test queens that are showing promise though but, until I have the breeding values, I have no idea how they will turn out.

Latest posts

Back