Your preferred frames and why.

• Thread starter Curly green fingers
  • Start date
Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
C

Curly green fingers

Hi, I've come to the conclusion my preferred frames are SN4 .
Reasons there self spacing wider on the top bar and you get less braise comb.
Your thoughts
Cheers
Mark.

Sn1's in supers with alternate wide spacers giving 11 to a box then 10 space castellations once drawn.
DN4's in brood boxes.

Why do you change to castellations rather than add wide ends to the others and have 9 to a box?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I've not tried going from 11-9 but i can see it causing issues. Mostly just because i prefer how the frames are held in castellations( more secure) and the less faffing about with plastic spacers the better.

Why do you change to castellations rather than add wide ends to the others and have 9 to a box?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I keep normal frame widht 35 mm in brood boxes but in supers I keep - 1 frame. Super combs are then fatter.

-2 set up spoils combs in extraction.

DN1's on 11 space castellations in standard BB, SN1's on 11,10, and 9 space castellations in the supers. I use them because that's what my teaching apiary use.

DN4's in 14x12 BB

Last edited:
I have not yet found a commercially made frame that meets my standards with the qualified exception that the frames made by Betterbee are very close. The reason is because the end bars are too thin on almost all of the commercial frames. I make all of my frames with 9.5 mm (3/8 inch) thick end bars because it prevents bowing over time.

Nine to a box is too widely spaced - the filled frames are a PITA to handle and are also no good for showing.

DN 4 as they are self spacing and can be slid sideways for inspection. SN1 in shallows on 10 frame castellations, as they are cheaper.

Latest posts

Back