Yellow flowering tree flowering now?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beeline

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi
I'm currently working on the outskirts of London and there are alot of yellow flowering trees about. They're medium sized trees, not Acacia Dealbata but an equally bright yellow flower hanging in long drapes. Leaves arranged in a pinnate shape. Was interested to know the name and if it was of any benefit to bees.
Apologies I don't have a photo to hand.

BL

Looking at some pics it could be. I need to check on those leaves. I believe Laburnam is of no interest to bees.

It s very poisonous to humans and animals. The seeds can kill chickens ( probably not in London!!! )
Bees do go on it but mainly bumbles

What makes you think London chickens are immune - our chooks are same as everyone elses.

Or did you think we ain't got chickens?

Maybe it's because they're a-Lond-hen-ers...
:music-smiley-026:

Hi
I'm currently working on the outskirts of London and there are alot of yellow flowering trees about. They're medium sized trees, not Acacia Dealbata but an equally bright yellow flower hanging in long drapes. Leaves arranged in a pinnate shape. Was interested to know the name and if it was of any benefit to bees.
Pea like flowers? Lots of laburnum in gardens around here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laburnum

Often cited as poisonous, there are cases of fresh pods being eaten by children mistaking them for peas. In practice they cause nausea and vomiting long before enough is eaten to cause any permanent effect. For instance to take a quick internet search -
In 'Accidental poisoning deaths in British children 1958-77'* published by the British Medical Journal, Neil C Fraser writes 'Laburnum is frequently cited as the most toxic and commonly fatal poisonous plant in both children and adults, but there appears to be no report this century of a childhood poisoning death'.

I was always told that as few as 4 seeds ingested could be fatal. But as with so many other things that I was told as a child that could just be bollocks.

I was always told that as few as 4 seeds ingested could be fatal. But as with so many other things that I was told as a child that could just be bollocks.
Quite. As so often, the fear is greater than the actual danger. There are reports of children being rushed to hospital, probably more traumatic than a bit of tummy ache or no effect at all which is what most actual reports say happens. How many people start eating random trees-that-don't-taste-good?

not worthy:icon_204-2:

Succinct and to the point!
Made me larf!!!!

Most modern Laburnum trees are sterile hybrids - i.e. don't set seeds.

If you like trees covered with yellow flowers.. Here are grown as decorative trees " Koelreuteria paniculata", which is also great source of nectar. Even fallen flowers on the ground are visited by the bees. Even I have several plants when saw them covered with the bees. There are several cultivars - different time of flowering, I am interested in " September gold", but cannot find any..
But I don't know are they good for your climate..

If you like trees covered with yellow flowers.. Here are grown as decorative trees " Koelreuteria paniculata", which is also great source of nectar. Even fallen flowers on the ground are visited by the bees. Even I have several plants when saw them covered with the bees. There are several cultivars - different time of flowering, I am interested in " September gold", but cannot find any..
But I don't know are they good for your climate..

I have one and it's never flowered in 10 years...

Oh no.......don't say that.
I have seven, still in small pots.
I rescued them from where I used to live in London. Vandals had snapped the tree which had stood happily on the corner by the off-licence for the twenty years I was there. There were seeds in pods so I grew them on.
I was going to plant most in the field adjacent to the apiary and one in the garden.

I think the plants I grow from seeds also, are cultivar Fastigiata, and people told me that it needs 4-5 years to flower, will see..
But I am not gambler, so I planted various plants, and at least one should really flower and be to bee..:cool:

Latest posts

Back