Years service

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonnybeegood

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Hi Admin, is it possible to have on peoples profile thingy how long people have been beekeeping rather than how many hives people have? I dont think how many people have really matters, but seeing how many years experience gives a new beek like myself more of an option of who to listen to for advice?

probably better to take the sum of the hives each year i,e, hive years as someone with more hives is going to have seen more each year.

I'm in my second year & i now have 6 hives, someone could have done it for years & only keep 2or 3. I might have learnt a lot in my first year but obviously i have a lot to learn. When you get different answers to the same question it would be better if you knew how long they have kept bees. I know not all experienced beeks are approachable or give good advice but at least we would know if they should know some things or not.

I'd say length of experience is no more correlated to expertise than number of hives is.

(just as true in beekeeping as in any other skill, eg. car drivers, managers, politicians, ...)

I would say consider post count, some people on here have so many posts that surely they can't actually keep any bees. They just wouldn't have the time to do both !

Last edited:
I find the entertainment on here better than TV. Hence the number of posts!
E

I would say consider post count, some people on here have so many posts that surely they can't actually keep any bees. They just wouldn't have the time to do both !

but factor in the figure that some are retired and have nothing better to do..

Ask 12 beekeepers a question, and you'll get 12 different answers!

and then go and do something different which works for you!

or you could read the BBKA magazine, and follow their advice and put

castellations in your brood box or match sticks under your crownboard for ventillation

and then go and do something different which works for you!
and that would be what you have already done because its what the bloke down the street said......but now you're not too sure it was right and ask on the forum without mentioning that you have already done it..

and that would be what you have already done because its what the bloke down the street said......but now you're not too sure it was right and ask on the forum without mentioning that you have already done it..

and your still lost & confused after asking here! :hairpull: :nono::willy_nilly:

Last edited:
Listen to Ted Hooper. He knows his stuff

I know keepers with lots of hives and I know keepers with lots of years behind them but with less hives, so lots of experience there then. I'm on here having a look every day........you can work it out for yourselves then!
:D

but factor in the figure that some are retired and have nothing better to do..

Either that or they're so damn good they can take care of their bees and still have loads of time on here.
Or in the case of some maybe don't have any bees, lie and depend on google to supply their answers :D :spy:

Hi Admin, is it possible to have on peoples profile thingy how long people have been beekeeping rather than how many hives people have? I dont think how many people have really matters, but seeing how many years experience gives a new beek like myself more of an option of who to listen to for advice?

how about show their BBKA Certificate ?

Basic Assessment in Beekeeping
Intermediate and Advanced Theory Certificates
General Certificate in Beekeeping Husbandry
Advanced Certificate in Beekeeping Husbandry
Senior Beekeeper Certificate
Master Beekeeper Certificate

see here

http://www.-------------/files/library/summary_prospectus_2013_1366832867.pdf

Sorry but dose that mean if you have a driving License it mean you will never crash or speed in your car paper isent every thing look at The Treaty of Versailles

Some of us have NDB which to some proves that we know nothing!!
People with hundreds of hives often have no time to see or experiment much and tend to have a basic system of management (that works for them) and for many reasons don't tend to deviate from it so they don't accumulate as much knowledge or many skills as you would thinkthey would . The wisest beekeepers I have met (and I have met hundreds over the last half century) tend to have kept between 20 and 60 hives for several years and make the time to read and investigate their colonies really well and have enough colonies to present them with a wide variety of challenges eg Margaret Thomas, Ian Maclean, Clive de Bryn, Graham Royle ( all NDB's)

I'm not saying every one with a Qualification nose nothing but also people with out can no just as much plus how many bees read the book and test and run true to them 24 7 365

Latest posts

Back