Wrong kind of Fondant?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Colinkemp

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I have a weakish hive that is quite light. I have put some Tesco fondant over the brood box which I can observe with a transparent crown board. They are not at all interested in the fondant. I can see the cluster which looks healthy with an occassional bee flying in the mild weather.
Should I expect the cluster to take the fondant, or should I try another type, possibly pollen augmented?

It's not fondant you're using, it's fondant icing, full of goodness knows what.
Forget the pollen augmented and all that snakeoil, find a local independent baker and ask them to sell you a few kilos of bog standard baker's fondant.

If you look at the list of ingredients in supermarket fondant, no self respecting bee will eat it..

Both the above are right.i buy a 12.5 kg box from the local bakers at about £15. Doesn't go off. If the bees don't need it they may not use it. Two of my five hives go through it like wildfire and may be storing it. The other three haven't touched it. Had to use it this year because it is such a wet cold Spring!
E

Have I slept through a month or something?
It's still winter as far as I can see (weather and calendar wise)

I was thinking that but where I'm sat looking down from the summit I can see yellow fields appearing... It could be the sun shining on them mind!

Have I slept through a month or something?
It's still winter as far as I can see (weather and calendar wise)

All our spring flowers and shrubs out. The flowers tell me it's spring. ....and we are further south!
E

Well I put some baker's fondant on and it has all been taken up. Put more on today, the Tesco fondant icing is still there untouched.

Back