Would you convert a manual extractor to electric?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I have a thornes 9 frame manual extractor (radial) and wondered if I should convert it to electric by adding a motor.
Thornes have a motor conversion kit which is pretty expensive at nearly £420.

I am thinking that
1.) I would extract a bit more honey from the frames
2.) A lot less effort
3.) Probably keep more frames intact

Would I be better off buying a new one and flogging the old manual one?

I'm in the process of doing this, mainly because the 90 degree gearbox on mine has bust after only two goes.
I've had a shaft adaptor machined by a friend of mine and I've ordered a UCFL204 flanged bearing which I will mount to the top plate. That gets the basket nice and straight and allows for initial misalignment.

Millet's retrofit of a mobility scooter motor looks good so I'll be looking at getting something like that. I have had the shaft adaptor machined with a 1/4" square end so I can use the socket adaptor on my cordless drill as a base case, with adding a motor as a luxury.

So far it has cost me a tenner.

I have converted my Giordano. My research showed that converting to electric was, there or thereabouts, the same cost of buying a motorised version in the first place. The Giordano kit was straightforward and took a couple of minutes. The time and effort and the arguments it saves with spouses was well worth the cost imho.

How about disconnecting the handle and attaching a drill?

How about disconnecting the handle and attaching a drill?

No

I converted a cheepo chinko 9 frame manual to electric using a German extractor motor... it works and a useful bit of kit as I can run it at the same time as my Thomas 20 frame radial... but then I was trained as an instrument maker by the BBC !!

I have a thornes 9 frame manual extractor (radial) and wondered if I should convert it to electric by adding a motor.
Thornes have a motor conversion kit which is pretty expensive at nearly £420.

I am thinking that
1.) I would extract a bit more honey from the frames
2.) A lot less effort
3.) Probably keep more frames intact

Would I be better off buying a new one and flogging the old manual one?

for that sort of cost you are better off flogging the old one (you'll get a good price for it.) and buying a new one - there's plenty out there at reasonable prices.

Just finishing converting a 6 frame radial to electric. Basically a mounting on the cross bar for a 240 v drill connected to the original drive shaft with a v belt and a couple of pulleys. Total cost c £30.00.

If it works it will save a lot of elbow grease and also time because I can decap the next lot of frames while the first is spinning.

No

I converted a cheepo chinko 9 frame manual to electric using a German extractor motor... it works and a useful bit of kit as I can run it at the same time as my Thomas 20 frame radial... but then I was trained as an instrument maker by the BBC !!

There are variable speed drills. All is needed is a competent operator.

I've also found that an electric extractor allows you to achieve a more consistent speed, and it helps stop you getting impatient when youre trying to take it slow at first (come on, lots more frames to go yet!) as you can just set the speed and leave it alone.

Sell your manual and buy a purpose built machine with warranty.

manual spinners need proper bearings to convert and a variable speed motor , buy an electric stainless steel one , I bought one last year from ebay second hand its so much better, then sell yours

I did this to the same extractor many years ago. I like tinkering so It wasn't too hard a job.
what I did was buy a metal extractor stand. The electric motor had a box fitted that changed the drive shaft 90 degrees. On this i fitted a V pulley. Took the handle off the extractor and fitted a smaller V pulley. Connected the two with a V belt. Welded a bracket to the stand to take the motor. Probably not the best way to do it but I used stuff I had in my garage. Gearing was spot on and it worked great. Maybe a little slow, but i just left it to run to extract all the honey out.

Saying that, I wouldn't hesitate now to buy an electric extractor. Manual make the job such a chore..

Last edited:
Back