Worst winter ever

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
What's a 2ampersat JBM? :biggrinjester:

What Jb is trying to say without actually saying it is 'two at'. Say it fast and you get a probably banned word for lady parts.

Obee

even if off topic can we have the story ITLD please

One of the people involved is a very dangerous and litigious person that used to scan all these groups and forums. So not on a public forum thank you. No fear, just don't need the hassle of a bunch of zealots on my back at a busy time. If you want the story....and it is now rather old, about what went on at the inception of the small cell story then PM me. My correspondent is a very respected beekeeping figure from the USA (unless you believe the story of course, then you will not respect a scientists version). He was in at the very start of it.

Ask about AHDS.

ITLD you just know your going to get lots of PMs now don't you lol. let us know how many you get.

Here's some natural cells for you and you can even take your pick at which size you prefer :) Also another thing the bees like to do on this comb that is also natural to the bees :)

Attachments

• 2015-03-31 16.26.20.jpg
    2015-03-31 16.26.20.jpg
    393.8 KB · Views: 52
If your worried about reprisals just remember very few people sign in with their own name.

Well.. there's at least two of us who could easily be traced - possibly three with JBM !!

Yes jbm indeed. Very easily found his photo and address and occupation when trying to suss out if I'd seen him at the wbka show on Saturday.
Obee

I assume none of us want to appear so nosey that they will pm for info - but we all hope the answers will appear in the thread.

Obee

Help please

Hi everyone. This forum is most helpful, thank you. I need some help. We are new to beekeeping and enjoyed our first summer of bees last year. Sadly our bees didn't make it through the winter. We had our local supplier check the bees to see if they were diseased or we did something wrong. He thinks it was that our queen didn't lay properly for a couple of weeks over the summer, which we didn't spot. No sign of disease and certainly plenty stores. We are feeling really bad about it but the advice we have been given is to get a new colony this year and not feel bad about it but learn and move on. So we've booked another colony. So finally my question, what do we do with the hive? Do we need to disinfect? What do we do with the frames that have honey stores in them? Do we need to dispose of it all and let the new new colony start again or can we give them this store of honey? Hope you can advise us.
:thanks:

Hi ruthiebee

you might find it helpful to start a new thread in the beginners section as most posters in there are more light handed with their replies to new beekeepers.

What type of hive to you have is it wood or poly as that makes a massive difference to how to set it up for the next time. you will need to disinfect but if wood you can use a blowtorch but you cant do this on poly for obvious reasons (melted plastic every where, yuck).

Remove the frames and either remove the comb and melt down the wax for other uses and the steralise the frames and insert new foundation into them. or the easier way is just to make up new frames and use the old ones as firelighters if you have a wood burner.

Is the stores honey or did u feed them syrup in the autumn? if honey and not set extract and use but don't give back to the new colony you get. if syrup just bin as its no use for you.

if your in a local association speak to the committee members to get yourself on the swarm list. It is always best to have 2 colonies as if one doesn't make it at least you can make a split the following year and means no cost to you where as now you will need to prob buy a new nuc.

good luck with your beekeeping this year and don't get disheartened by losing the colony.

Hi everyone. This forum is most helpful, thank you. I need some help. We are new to beekeeping and enjoyed our first summer of bees last year. Sadly our bees didn't make it through the winter. We had our local supplier check the bees to see if they were diseased or we did something wrong. He thinks it was that our queen didn't lay properly for a couple of weeks over the summer, which we didn't spot. No sign of disease and certainly plenty stores. We are feeling really bad about it but the advice we have been given is to get a new colony this year and not feel bad about it but learn and move on. So we've booked another colony. So finally my question, what do we do with the hive? Do we need to disinfect? What do we do with the frames that have honey stores in them? Do we need to dispose of it all and let the new new colony start again or can we give them this store of honey? Hope you can advise us.
:thanks:

Welcome to the forum Ruthiebee!
As above, your post will receive more attention if started as a new thread and attract less sarcasm and ridicule if posted on the Beginners Section - not that any of us are really nasty!
You could sterilise using 80% acetic acid (available on line) poured onto absorbent sheets or green oasis etc. Seal up the hive and leave a week, then air for another week. I agree with DPearce's other suggestions especially to have at least two colonies - quadruples the enjoyment.

I am rapidly coming to that conclusion ... I think the original hypothesis was worthy of exploration but I think the difficulty of finding and assessing legitimate samples left her in the position of many PhD students .. looking for an answer and a paper where, perhaps, there is no answer in the research. However, the nature of a PhD is to expound and prove a hypothesis ... so a thesis has to be produced.

What knowledge are you drawing on here? Well I have a PhD and worked in this environment for many years. You are just wrong.
A PhD can have totally negative result - it is harder to write up but it can be done.

I am rapidly coming to that conclusion ... I think the original hypothesis was worthy of exploration but I think the difficulty of finding and assessing legitimate samples left her in the position of many PhD students .. looking for an answer and a paper where, perhaps, there is no answer in the research. However, the nature of a PhD is to expound and prove a hypothesis ... so a thesis has to be produced.

What are your qualification that allow you to make this statement about academic work?

I think the pomposity of a certain few academics is creeping out from the cupboard under the stairs - it seems we mere mortals are not allowed to have an opinion any more unless we have a handful of letters after our names

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back