Worried about my bees

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh yes ! I've almost convinced myself that I know what I'm doing!
for some reason the whole fondant thing confused me so always pleased to share now the light has dawned!

Heather?

If in doubt make sure even at the loss of a handful of bees.

Open mouseguard. Hammer hive, I mean it.

Mouse will run.

Cover mouse guard on again.

PH

Will do tomorrow...cheers- never thought of that -

I wrap my fondant in a couple of layers of kitchen foil and poke a small whole into it and place it over the crown board on top of a couple of small sticks to give it a slight gap between the fondant and the crown board entrance. On a warmer day, move it very slightly and the bees humm and it makes a micro phone noise. Always cheers me up to hear that.

Do you use open floors Afermo?

If in doubt as to the state of a wintering colony I uase a very basic trick I was taught many years ago.

A damn good thump to the side of the brood box will soon tell you what is alive and what is not.

KISS

PH

Naturally.

As a rider to my previous post, some time ago a beek advised me that to assist the ventilation of hives in winter, stick matches at the four corners under the crownboard. From the lengthy chat he and I had, I think he may have been quoting from something in his copy of A I Roots tome "The ABC and XYZ of Bee Culture". I have a reprint copy updated to 1947 but haven't checked. Perhaps I should but I wouldn't bother anyway and have had no problems that would make me change my modus operandi.

Last edited:
some time ago a beek advised me that to assist the ventilation of hives in winter, stick matches at the four corners under the crownboard.

that is really 'old-school' method!!

stick matches at the four corners under the crownboard

I would use match sticks, or rather something a little less crushable but of that order of size - but I would put them under the brood box, not over it, if I were to need extra ventilation when using a solid floor. Gladly that problem does not arise with OMFs.

The bees go to great lengths to reduce top ventilation and along comes a beek and props up the lid. 'Great', think the bees!

RAB

Old fashioned out of date and does the bees no good at all.

Open floors should be partnered by top insulation.

PH

Good Evening all!

I went to feed my fondant to my bees today only to be greeted by about 50 of them flying round outside, there was a few of them sunbathing on the roof aswell! :hurray: I think my bees are ok.
One question about my open mesh floor on my hive. The tray that you pull out to see varroas should this be out? I have had mine in the hive since November.

Out. But that might depend on other things, like other ventilation.

If a good fit, you are basically operating as a solid floor?

RAB

Beaddoll,

It depends on your insulation... Open OMF is good winter ventilation, but it should be partnered with insulation over the CB.

If varroa tray is in you are basically operating with a more old fashioned wooden floor approach (like me)... which should be partnered with top ventilation.

If I were in your situation I would remove the tray and then insulate the top of the CB... Then you have pretty much the perfect winter config.

Ben P

Latest posts

Back