Worried about my bees

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beaddoll18

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Hello,

This is my first post and i am new to beekeeping this is my first winter.

I treated oxcilic acid to my bees on 1 Jan. There were loads of bees on the top of the frames to see what i was doing.

I went to feed fondent today and there were only a few bees walking around. Is this alright? I'm worried as i think there should have been more bees. I checked the fondent and hour later and no bees were eating it. There is mould in the top of the roof is this a bad sign?

Do you think all my bees are dead, or any suggestions what i could do to help them.

Thanks in advanced a scared beekeeper.

Whereabouts are you Beaddoll.
Can you get 2nd opinion from a bee keeper near you. it has been very cold again- the bees may have gone lower. If fondant there and not heaps of bees on the open mesh floor then they may well be ok. Sounds like you could do with a mentor- always reassuring in your first year

The black mould I am assuming it is black is caused by condensation quite normal if you have not fitted insulation over the crown board.

I don’t know if your bees are ok but I do remember panicking in my first year it is possible your bees are lower down in the bb.

Its hard to stop worrying but you have to be patient it does sound as though you are doing the best you can do. Perhaps consider a bit of insulation if not fitted any

Thanks for your replies im on a 14 by 12 frame and im in Leeds. The bees may have gone to the bottom of the hive. I will check the floor tomorrow see how many bees are on it. There about 100 bees on the floor outside the hive.

Thanks bee-smillie

Hello,

This is my first post and i am new to beekeeping this is my first winter.

I treated oxcilic acid to my bees on 1 Jan. There were loads of bees on the top of the frames to see what i was doing.

I went to feed fondent today and there were only a few bees walking around. Is this alright? I'm worried as i think there should have been more bees. I checked the fondent and hour later and no bees were eating it. There is mould in the top of the roof is this a bad sign?

Do you think all my bees are dead, or any suggestions what i could do to help them.

Thanks in advanced a scared beekeeper.

Not enough info to help with identifying any problem. Maybe the bees have enough stores without fondant? Where did you put the fondant - on a tray within a shallow eke above the frames is best and if they need it they will find it. If you just lay the stuff on top of the frames it will dribble down due to the hear from the cluster below and some will land on the floor which is a waste. The mould in the top of the roof shouldn't be a problem providing you have a crownboard on with the holes covered. I put a small sheet of glass over so that I can inspect without lifting the CB. The bees look back at me waving to me as well as I look at them. As for the fondant don't bung huge quantities on - 250gr would be enough to start with. Insulation in the roof - never have bothered with it and nobody I know does either but everybody on this website seems wedded to it. Best of luck but don't be overconcerned as the bees generally know what they are about. At least the ones you saw were actually walking!!!! That's a good sign in itself.

Do you use open floors Afermo?

If in doubt as to the state of a wintering colony I uase a very basic trick I was taught many years ago.

A damn good thump to the side of the brood box will soon tell you what is alive and what is not.

KISS

PH

Thanks for your replies.

I put about 150grams fondent in a clear tube sealed with a few airholes on top of the crown board. I think i will just leave them and top up the fondent if it goes down. I hefted the hive and it was about 20kgs ish.

Regards :seeya:

150grams thats not a great amount if you have one or make one a 50mm eke on top of your crown board and then perhaps try 1 - 2kgs put it in a plastic container or cover with plastic. Insulation on top of the eke and then roof.

If you are feeding then please feed and not play at it.

150 gms is a drug deal.

5kg is a bee feed.

PH

Do you use open floors Afermo?

If in doubt as to the state of a wintering colony I uase a very basic trick I was taught many years ago.

A damn good thump to the side of the brood box will soon tell you what is alive and what is not.

KISS

PH

I visited my hives yesterday to make sure there are no woodpeckers about. I gave each a gentle but firm knock with my ear on the side and heard a reassuring and disgruntled buzz from within.

All of my hives are wooden, so am not sure if a damn good thump is required for polyhives!

As PH said before, give them a big lump of food and retreat until the weather is warmer (do not do this if it is breezy\windy). Going in and out will cost them valuable warmth which will require more food to replace and risks them chilling. If they have too much, then they just won't eat it!

My hives are still eating the syrup provided last September as there are plenty of cappings under the hive. After hefting a couple of larger colony's gave confidence they still have plenty of food.

A knock, the cappings and a heft is enough to see how well they are doing. If they are doing badly (apart from being short of food), there is very little you can do to help them until it gets warmer regardless.

March-April (weather depending) is starvation season. Make sure they have enough food to get past this.

Thanks for all the advice so far everyone.

I have made some fondent today. Do you suggest that i put this in a plastic container with a hole in bottom, then line the hole up with the one in the crown board. With a eke on top of the crown board. If I put some insulation on top of the eke (before the roof) do I need to do anything for ventilation?

Whilst on the theme of worrying about them...
I have one colony away at an out apiary- and twice I have had to replace the mouseguard (I do have difficulty ramming home the drawing pins so a little unstable).
The OMF does not indicate mouse in there as cappings trail small. BUT if there is one suspected (same site as 16 in the store shed) do I leave well alone fingers crossed -or open and check, taking into account the freezing cold weather.

The container just leave the lid off and sit it over the feedhole.

I am assuming you are on a mesh floor this is all the ventilation they need

Heather?

If in doubt make sure even at the loss of a handful of bees.

Open mouseguard. Hammer hive, I mean it.

Mouse will run.

Cover mouse guard on again.

PH

Put the fondant in a clear container,cover with cling film then make two bee size slits to correspond with opening on cb. Surround with eke then lid with insulation inside. If you have omf get on knees, shine torch up and you can see all is well!:smilielol5:

Put the fondant in a clear container,cover with cling film then make two bee size slits to correspond with opening on cb. Surround with eke then lid with insulation inside. If you have omf get on knees, shine torch up and you can see all is well!:smilielol5:

voice of experience, Janet?

Latest posts

Back