Worried about lack of stores.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

freethorpe bees

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Two - one fiesty, one lovely. ;0)
I checked my two hives yesterday and can't believe how short of stores they are. Gave both 2kg to 1 Litre sugar syrup and will continue to feed throughout September. Bit worried they won't store enough before the winter.

You've still plenty of time for them to store but continue feeding as they'll take down what they want.

Keep in mind ivy hasn't yet started to flower in many places.

If your feeder can take it, give them 5L (a gallon'ish) at a time

I checked my two hives yesterday and can't believe how short of stores they are. Gave both 2kg to 1 Litre sugar syrup and will continue to feed throughout September. Bit worried they won't store enough before the winter.

No need to worry. You have noticed they are low and stepped in accordingly. Huntsman666 is quite right. Plenty of time yet and ivy just about kicking off on the Norfolk/Suffolk border.

Cazza

Thank you very much for your reassurances. Any idea how long it will take them to clear the sugar syrup? I want to give them some more as soon as the last drop has gone. Suppose it all depends on your bees!

<Any idea how long it will take them to clear the sugar syrup?>

There's a good chance they have already taken down the small amount you gave them.

Just keep putting more in. If they have room they will bring it down. As the brood area continues to decrease they'll fill the empty cells.

Keep in mind, syrup requires more cell space than 'capped' honey.

I'll check in the morning and hopefully they have taken it all, so shall give them some more (a larger quantity!)

What with feeding bees, making jam and wine I need shares in Silver Spoon!

I've been feeding mine using rapid feeders which only hold 2 litres and when I started feeding the bees last week they were emptying the feeders overnight, but I always try and feed the bees in the late afternoon as this is less likely cause problems with robbing.

They've slowed down a bit now and are taking 2-3 days to empty a feeder.

Last edited:
Just be a bit careful going mad with feeding in August.
If they're absolutely crammed with stores and then the ivy starts they just might think about swarming as there's no room.

I would'nt feed until they can take no more until about the third week of september

If your concerned they aren't taking it down quickly enough hand fill one side of a frame yourself by simply pouring the syrup into the cells slowly and put it back in near the side of the hive, you can repeat this on several empty frames provided there is no signs of any eggs.

That sounds like a great idea as they certainly have empty drawn frames I can use. Would the syrup not trickle out when I put the frame back?

Would the syrup not trickle out when I put the frame back?

Some might, but does nectar run out of the cells?

RAB

True! If they haven't taken it all tomorrow I'll try putting some on the frames. Tis nerve wracking this beekeeping!

Hi FB
as you know I do not live that far from you and look what I found the girls up to today.

View attachment 4927

on the ivy lol.
and I just collected a swarm in west sommerton this evening food for thought.
xxx
ZZ

True! If they haven't taken it all tomorrow I'll try putting some on the frames. Tis nerve wracking this beekeeping!

Just don't over do feeding them to much if you pour syrup into the cells. They need to process it to reduce the water content and then cap it, if you over hand-feed them so to speak then you may find some of it goes mouldy.

Thanks Mike, I'll bear that in mind. I'm hoping they've taken all the feed I gave them the other day and the ivy is almost out.

ZZ - I haven't seen any ivy flowers out yet, must be chillier over on these 'ere marshes! Great photo and blimey that's a late swarm!

FB

Latest posts

Back