Workshop day in cornwall

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robbie & Jans Bees

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I would just like to thank all those at BIPco for a interesting day on Sat the workshop was stimulating and the information on Queen rearing outstanding, the work that BIPco are doing with local Bees well just fascinating THANK YOU, the massage is strong colonies make a good future for our bees.

Hi Both,
Glad you found it useful. The BIPCo boys did a great job didn't they? Have to say, it's brill to see a large crowd of open-minded beeks in one place:.)

Di:.)

What did you cover in queen rearing?

Ways to score hives and queens.. temperament.. honey productivity... disease resistance.. swarminess....
Queen selection.
Jenter system... Essential timing....utilising a super between brood on bottom with queen and above the qe and top brood... finishing in another hive.... incubation of queens... setting up mating hive... how to make covert meetings in lay-bys in deepest and darkest Cornwall without raising suspicion... transferring apidea for mating to area devoid of any thing but pure AMMs. propagating a stock of bees fit for local environment.
Also covered grafting methods and uses of nucs for bringing colonies on and a general discussion on variations on the theme... and quality and equipment problems that have been overcome....... in excess of 100 queens were raised last season !

I found the morphometry & discoidal shift talk very interesting, I now know what all those dots on a graph mean.

Glad it was good and did consider going but was put off going as it was run by the BBM (black bee mafia) and would of had trouble keeping me gob shut :rolleyes:
S

Glad it was good and did consider going but was put off going as it was run by the BBM (black bee mafia) and would of had trouble keeping me gob shut :rolleyes:
S

You would have been fine! It wasn't like that at all.

I must say its not about AMM its about making the best of the bees we have but at the same time improving the health of our bees. Yes Jo talked about the work they are doing with AMM but the day was just good advice good information and a chance to talk to other bee keepers face to face long may people keep holding.

I must say its not about AMM its about making the best of the bees we have but at the same time improving the health of our bees. Yes Jo talked about the work they are doing with AMM but the day was just good advice good information and a chance to talk to other bee keepers face to face long may people keep holding.

:iagree:

Yes the Cornish AMM program was discussed at length, but there were a lot of "transferable" skills too.

Following on with the advice proffered it would not be necessary for the British beekeeper to have to introduce new imported queens every season to improve stock.
There was a lot of discussion on instigating a selective bee breeding procedure, possibly within a selected area on how a "naturalised" local gene pool of bees could be raised that would have all the features sort in a bee we want. Working together as a group within an area this is achievable.

Bringing in new genes disrupts the continuum.

Bees that are possibly not suited to localised conditions may be the reason some new beekeepers loose their first years bees.... only advantage there is to the beebreeder!

Before all the X people start kicking me I am reporting the ideas presented... and if you should wish to throw a tantrum in disagreement please start a new thread !

:leaving:

S

Hi Stiffy,

No maffia in sight and it's a shame you didn't come, but the group are looking to repeat it annually. So maybe next time.

Things any beekeeper could learn, regardless of opinion, that were discussed were:

Record keeping - it's importance, uses and key features in an efficient one.

Queen rearing in a queenright colony...practical considerations gained through experience and discussion of queen raising methods..Jenter and grafting.

Use of apideas.
Introducing queens.

Of course there was talk about BIPCo's work with the native bee, but it is explicitly and repeatedly expressed that this is not to impose on others. Others must do what works for their needs and indeed must be pragmatic above all else. BIPCo regard the whole programme as an experiment and intend to give it a really good go to see if significant improvement of a strain can be achieved. They expect setbacks and disappointments and have had several to date, but have kept positive throughout and intend to keep on improving on as practical a level as is allowed, by the volunteers involved donating their hard work and time.

Above all else, I think it is meant to be empowering to all beekeepers to raise their own queens and resist the temptation to keep importing bees. I think based on that, any beekeeper could learn something, regardless of their persuasion. BIPCo are about as maffia as Gandhi.

Hi Stiffy,

No maffia in sight and it's a shame you didn't come, but the group are looking to repeat it annually. So maybe next time.

Things any beekeeper could learn, regardless of opinion, that were discussed were:

Record keeping - it's importance, uses and key features in an efficient one.

Queen rearing in a queenright colony...practical considerations gained through experience and discussion of queen raising methods..Jenter and grafting.

Use of apideas.
Introducing queens.

Of course there was talk about BIPCo's work with the native bee, but it is explicitly and repeatedly expressed that this is not to impose on others. Others must do what works for their needs and indeed must be pragmatic above all else. BIPCo regard the whole programme as an experiment and intend to give it a really good go to see if significant improvement of a strain can be achieved. They expect setbacks and disappointments and have had several to date, but have kept positive throughout and intend to keep on improving on as practical a level as is allowed, by the volunteers involved donating their hard work and time.

Above all else, I think it is meant to be empowering to all beekeepers to raise their own queens and resist the temptation to keep importing bees. I think based on that, any beekeeper could learn something, regardless of their persuasion. BIPCo are about as maffia as Gandhi.

Having had dealings with one of the most prominent advocates from BIPCo, I sadly have to disagree.
Cheers
S

Having had dealings with one of the most prominent advocates from BIPCo, I sadly have to disagree.
Cheers
S

Why was that i wonder,did you happen to let it slip that you were moving in 2000 colonys, headed by Italian queens,but were going to be producing all your own home reared queens from them in the future.:biggrinjester:

Why was that i wonder,did you happen to let it slip that you were moving in 2000 colonys, headed by Italian queens,but were going to be producing all your own home reared queens from them in the future.:biggrinjester:
Well nearly, I did let the fella know that after trying their bees I didn’t like their qualities and where not a patch on the Buckfast I now have. The look on his face, you would have thought I had accosted his mother!

Started queen rearing late last year and really enjoyed it and will be producing more this year.....The queens where well behaved, productive and have (so far) overwintered well, luckily I have a site that seems far enough away from the black drone influence to mate them :rolleyes:

WHERE are you to Stiffy?
you hide behind ... somewhere in the UK......

Some good sites for you 1000 hives coming up for lease.

Plymouth Airport... Newquay Airport... Exeter Airport........ possibly the landing lights could be retained for the bees flight path !

(ironic humour... before XSweetie has a go !)

WHERE are you to Stiffy?
you hide behind ... somewhere in the UK......

Some good sites for you 1000 hives coming up for lease.

Plymouth Airport... Newquay Airport... Exeter Airport........ possibly the landing lights could be retained for the bees flight path !

(ironic humour... before XSweetie has a go !)

Its not intentional 'somewhere in Cornwall' as I have hives on number of sites around the Truro/Camborne/St Agnes, Helston area.
Cheers
S

Its not intentional 'somewhere in Cornwall' as I have hives on number of sites around the Truro/Camborne/St Agnes, Helston area.
Cheers
S

Put your location as Cornwall then !
Singing TRELAWNEY is not compulsory... may be flying the flag of St Piran is ?

not worthynot worthynot worthy

Latest posts

Back