workers wanted, notts area

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StevieD

New Bee
Reaction score
Number of Hives
is there anyone in the notts area that could spare me 2 or 3 frames of bees to support a weak hive with a new queen last year.
If I don't give them some help quick they will die

Asking for a third of someones hive is a lot. Are you sure they're worth saving?

What's wrong with using some from your other colonies or if they are that small in a big box place then in a dummied down nuc.

Chucking a load of bees from another hive won't help either, probably cause chaos and three frames of brood will just tip a weak colony over the edge trying to tend them.

What's wrong with using some from your other colonies or if they are that small in a big box place then in a dummied down nuc.
i do not have another colony to take any from or I would,

support a weak hive
As said above, the plan is not good, Stevie.

Apart from an imbalance created in the weak colony, you may easily transfer disease unwittingly.

You must establish why the colony is weak. Queen could be duff: is there BIAS? Did you treat for varroa late last summer?

Send in photos and the story will unfold.

New queen last year and they are weak?
If they are dwindling there is a reason. Nosema? Varroa?
it was an emergency queen that went in beginning of April as I lost my old one in the winter snow, the new one started laying but know has stopped again with the cold wet weather I presume

new one started laying but know has stopped again with the cold wet weather
No, Stevie, it may be cold to you and I but in the nest it'll be 35C and she ought to be laying plenty.

If no nectar is coming in then she won't be fed and will stop laying. A feed of syrup may kick-start her if that is the issue.

i do not have another colony to take any from or I would,

I thought possibly you may have as the avatar suggests 3 colonies but as we know we don't always keep this updated. I personally would downsize them in to a nuc and feed syrup if it is just a case of gone off lay, though syrup on its own isn't enough. How are pollen stores ?

it was an emergency queen that went in beginning of April as I lost my old one in the winter snow, the new one started laying but know has stopped again with the cold wet weather I presume
If you had genuinely lost the Queen because of cold winter weather so were now down to one hive, you'd have got some sympathy.

But as you admitted a couple of weeks ago to having deliberately destroyed your other colonies by pouring rubbing alcohol over them, I wouldn't hold out for any offers of help. 🙁

https://beekeepingforum.co.uk/threads/when-bees-wont-leave-you-alone.50124/post-763600

Me thinks anyone reading this now will stay quiet and not offer any help esp following the colony destruction occurring.
Personally I wouldn't sacrifice one of my colonies to aid someone else's, doing so for one of your own is a different story.

I helped a friend last weekend to re-queen a sxxxty colony, yes they were indeed shixxy but I have had, dealt with and seen worse. The day before he was stung very badly around the ankles to the point he just put the hive back together and walked (ran) off. He was so badly stung he spoke to a doctor for advice and is now considering if beekeeping is for him. He had in the past done a course but several things have become very evident to him, and me that really should be addressed. There seems to be a great rush to get as many people through BBKA courses as possible and I think they miss or are steered away from what I believe is one of the most important aspects of beekeeping and that's how to deal with a badly behaved hive. I quizzed my friend if he learnt about about aggressive hives when he did the course and he said that the tutor apparently said he had never had one and that only people not keeping a certain type of bee suffers with aggressive bees............he was also told that bees never go down, so suit legs pushed into loose fitting wellies are fine!!!!

is there anyone in the notts area that could spare me 2 or 3 frames of bees to support a weak hive with a new queen last year.
If I don't give them some help quick they will die
If they are that weak you will be better off combining them with one of your other colonies. It means that you will have to lose the weakest Queen.
Hopefully once the weather improves and they build up you could consider splitting them.

There’s a few issues going on with beginners atm. Courses are often run by people with spare time, often the very same that run associations. Now I’m not suggesting all are bad, but it doesn’t mean there the most appropriate. People are free to buy bees regardless of attending course or it’s quality. I think there’s been plenty of examples appearing here and other sites. Some nowadays also have a total disconnect with any sort of livestock/animals and little idea of the work or responsibility. Last year I met a flow hive owner through a friend. I asked what management they did. The response was they let the bees get on with it but they said they had 5 swarms last season.😳 Go figure!!! I also got a txt and picture last week of another swarm through the mutual friend asking if I knew any who would buy it😂 I really can’t see this situation improving rapidly. Now if I needed a couple of frames of bees there’s friends I’d ask, probably wouldn’t consider asking a bunch on the internet I’ve never met before. Maybe I’m just old fashioned!

I helped a friend last weekend to re-queen a sxxxty colony, yes they were indeed shixxy but I have had, dealt with and seen worse. The day before he was stung very badly around the ankles to the point he just put the hive back together and walked (ran) off. He was so badly stung he spoke to a doctor for advice and is now considering if beekeeping is for him. He had in the past done a course but several things have become very evident to him, and me that really should be addressed. There seems to be a great rush to get as many people through BBKA courses as possible and I think they miss or are steered away from what I believe is one of the most important aspects of beekeeping and that's how to deal with a badly behaved hive. I quizzed my friend if he learnt about about aggressive hives when he did the course and he said that the tutor apparently said he had never had one and that only people not keeping a certain type of bee suffers with aggressive bees............he was also told that bees never go down, so suit legs pushed into loose fitting wellies are fine!!!!

The challenge for clubs is to find decent beeks who can teach. Not those who think they can.

Problem is with some and a prime one is my LBKA is they teach BBKA nonsense. Trying to get them to change their ways is like :banghead: .
Shook swarms and top ventilation !!!

Latest posts

Back