workers wanted, notts area

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, the problem is solved, I have found a buyer for the whole lot, feisty bees and all. So they live to fight another day, just not with me :), the new owner is much more experienced than I so they are in good hands (although I doubt the queens are going to be).

I think, over the years, that I have recoupled all my money in honey sales and the sale of the remaining kit that it cost me to set up so it's been an interesting time that hasn't really cost me anything; more than I can say for a lot of hobbies. Also, I still have 50lbs of honey to sell so that should bring in quite a bit more.

Thank you all for your help over the years and good luck with your own colonies.

I think, over the years, that I have recoupled all my money in honey sales and the sale of the remaining kit that it cost me to set up so it's been an interesting time that hasn't really cost me anything; more than I can say for a lot of hobbies. Also, I still have 50lbs of honey to sell so that should bring in quite a bit more.

Thank you all for your help over the years and good luck with your own colonies.
Good luck with whatever comes next ... you are not the first to give up, better that than to drag on and you and the bees suffer - it takes a bit of courage to finally admit that it's not giving you any pleasure and make the decision. Hope it all goes to plan and you and the bees live to fight another day. No shame in honesty ...

Just to finalise things:

The new people came today to pick up the bees and it was all going swimmingly until I tightened up the ratchet strap on the first hive only for it, for some reason, to force the roof off (I think it was a piece of roof insulation that had come loose and stopped the roof sitting properly). That was interesting [understatement], a load of bees out in the semi-darkness with no way of getting back in because the entrance block had been sealed up. In the end the escaped bees decided to hang tough under the edge of the roof (because by then we had fixed the roof in place properly) and that's how they were moved with oddly no further complications. The new owners drove away with all the gear and more than a few loose bees in their Transit van while dressed in full bee suit and veil. They didn't seem overly concerned -- them or the bees. BTW, one of them did get a parting shot in my forearm!

So it's done.

I'll keep my eye on this forum as I love the concept of beekeeping but not the actual activity.

Thanks again everyone.

Bye

Just to finalise things:

The new people came today to pick up the bees and it was all going swimmingly until I tightened up the ratchet strap on the first hive only for it, for some reason, to force the roof off (I think it was a piece of roof insulation that had come loose and stopped the roof sitting properly). That was interesting [understatement], a load of bees out in the semi-darkness with no way of getting back in because the entrance block had been sealed up. In the end the escaped bees decided to hang tough under the edge of the roof (because by then we had fixed the roof in place properly) and that's how they were moved with oddly no further complications. The new owners drove away with all the gear and more than a few loose bees in their Transit van while dressed in full bee suit and veil. They didn't seem overly concerned -- them or the bees. BTW, one of them did get a parting shot in my forearm!

So it's done.

I'll keep my eye on this forum as I love the concept of beekeeping but not the actual activity.

Thanks again everyone.

Bye
You can adopt a hive here ;)

Back