Woodpeckers

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Number of Hives
One of my passions is birding, and it fits my lifestyle...as I'm outside with the bees most every day. When I was in the UK this past October, I kept my eyes open for new birds. I must say, that's the oddest Robin I've ever seen. :) But the Yellow Wagtail was cute, and the Tits at the feeder entertained me.

One bird I really wanted to see was your Green Woodpecker. No luck. Might have heard one with Chris B, but not sure. I've seen the photos of the damage that bird can do to your woodenware. Smart birds, eh, drilling through the hand holds.

In Vermont, we have four species of woodpecker. The Hairy and the Downy woodpeckers are small, backyard feeder birds. Hang around to steal some sunflower seeds or fill up on suet. In the Northeast Kingdom of Vermont...the northeast corner of the state is largely boreal forest...is the Black Backed Three-toed woodpecker. A shy bird, that is a rare sight and hard to find.

Luckily we don't have any woodpeckers with an appetite for bees, but this next one could surely do some major damage if he wanted to.

The Piliated woodpecker is our largest, and my favorite. A real Woody the Woodpecker type. Hides behind the trunk of a tree as you approach, and peeks around to see if you're there yet.

PileatedWoodpeckerEnnis2118_zpsb113e21a.jpg

Some of the Aspens near my house are infested with some insect, and every year the Piliated couple tears one to pieces. We call it the Piliated tree. You can see why.
I have an apiary 200 feet from this tree, and the woodpeckers have never bothered the bees.

DSC_6251_zps0cfb8bf3.jpg

DSC_6263_zps2e21ac4d.jpg

With trees like that why would a woodpecker chose to hammer away at a hive? Most of our trees get felled long before they reach that stage of infestation.
As for robins,ours are proper robins (chats) not blackbirds with attitude. We occasionally get American robins turning up as vagrants as well as the occasional vireo and wader. My claim to birding fame was finding a kildeer, a very rare vagrant while out on a birding day.
S

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

Wow lovely photo and just as well they don’t go for hives as there would be nothing left.

As I understand it the woodpeckers we have don’t make it a habit of attacking hives but it’s something they learn and when they have learnt the trick it can then get to be a pain. So you can be surrounded by woodpeckers with no damage one year to the next and then one has a go at this funny box on the ground.....The same thing last year at my association apiary never any problem from woodpeckers until last winter and thankfully spotted before major damage done.

Wow !
Lets hope they never learn that beehives are the best restaurants.

thanks for the info and photo's

I have woodpecker in my yard and I must protect hives over winter with net.

When I leaved to my capital city home 2 days ago, I saw a woodpecker hammering an empty hive.

This pecker is the worst to beehives.

A state may give US$ 1000 penalty if you kill that pecker

piccan-2kv-n-copy.jpg

Same as with wooden hives, the woodpeckers don't mind...

Last edited:
I used to live near one of the Royal Parks in London and there were hundreds of green woodpeckers. Nearly as many as the Parakeets! I wonder how the beekeepers get on there?
This is the only woody that we get here...they do try to rob the bird nest boxes though :(

Back