Wood lice

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
currently 5 hives & 3 nucs
Hi,
Just had a quick look at the inspection trays under my open mesh floors, and was surprised to see a lot of young wood lice wandering around on one of them. Should I be worried? The hive is brand new, and about 9" off the ground standing on new wood, wooden blocks. Would they be after the stores? I tipped them into the stream
Thanks

Very sure

I only asked because I once heard a really funny story about a married couple who, after 50 years of marriage, found out they had completely different ideas of what a wood louse / earwig was.

Is the bottom of your hive damp? Wood lice are normally attracted to damp places. I doubt they would be after the stores.

I seem to have a lot of earwigs around the outside of my hive - any big problem to it?

We have some things with about 12 legs sharing the roof of the hive, they only seem to live in the overlap though, where it's sheltered, but last year we shared with ladybirds....though it was common to have other insects take advantage of the sheltered nooks and crannys.

I'll add mine to this! I have earwigs under my mesh on the removable floor, each time i pull it out they scuttle around, i keep killing them off but they keep coming back :-(

My bumblebee house is also now an earwig palace!

I don't see the need to kill them if they're not doing any harm.
Probably just feasting on the dead varroa mites!

Latest posts

Back