Wise Words from the Wise

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mick stevenson

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Hello, this is my first post here as I am completely new to beekeeping, and just getting as much advice and information as I can before diving in and actually buying the equipment and the Bees.

I have been combing the forum and writing down things that i think I need, but I am really interested in hearing from the old timers if you like, I work in agriculture and am always hearing pearls of wisdom that you can never get out of a book from the older farmers, so would it be possible to give me them sayings or little tips on using this or doing that.

Thanks, Mick

Welcome Mick :)

hi mick im in the same boat as you just starting out with a little experience with wasps and bee i work for rentokil and get quite busy with them in the summer but no swarms last year - down to the general shortage of bees i think.sorrry i have no advise but if you get started this year i would love to compare notes with you
all the best chris

I started Bee keeping last year.
To be honest You can't beat 'Hands on' experience.
I would suggest you find out contact details for your local Bee Association,
and then get yourself on one of their introductory courses.

Not only is it a good introduction,
but it will give you some 'Hands on' experience before you make a decision to spend money.

bee-smillie

Where are you based Mick??
A few Assoc are running tuition days ( we are at Brighton & Lewes) so that is a good start.
And frankly I have learnt more from this forum than watching some of the 'old timers'. Some are great and some are poor- the poor ones- well - handling was rough and they seem oblivious to standards of hygiene and disease that modern bee keeping demands.
Read lots and ask questions - remembering no question too simplistic or silly- ask away - we all have.

Nice to meet you Nick.

Alex

I did a course last year with quite a lot of other people. Most grew more enthusiastic as the course progressed, but there were some who didnt and they realised that beekeeping wasn't for them.
Well worth taking this route into beekeeping just to make sure you enjoy it, especially as set up costs can be quite high.

The old-timers say the same things a lot. The favourite is:
"The bees dont read the books"
Second favourite is
"A swarm in May is worth a load of hay, a swarm in June is worth a silver spoon and a swarm in July isnt worth a fly"

Hello Mick,
Welcome to the forum.
Where abouts in the uk are you?

I think good advice so far, join a association, do a beginers course and read as much as you can!. well, thats what i have been doing before i get my bees this spring.

Dig deep into this forum, you will find answers to most of the questions you will have.

Where are you based Mick??
A few Assoc are running tuition days ( we are at Brighton & Lewes) so that is a good start.

Don’t get too excited thought, if its anything like my local area it will have been fully booked up about four weeks after becoming available! This frustrates me on a couple of levels really, I have seen how much our assoc makes from beginner courses and would think they may want to capitalise on this a little more. Also, as an educationalist i do get a little bit frustrated at the lack of intelligence behind the design, delivery and format of such courses. This is quite surprising since most of the forum members on here appear to be fairly progressive and adherents to use of evidence.

And frankly I have learnt more from this forum than watching some of the 'old timers'.

could not agree more!!

p

Don’t get too excited thought, if its anything like my local area it will have been fully booked up about four weeks after becoming available! This frustrates me on a couple of levels really, I have seen how much our assoc makes from beginner courses and would think they may want to capitalise on this a little more. Also, as an educationalist i do get a little bit frustrated at the lack of intelligence behind the design, delivery and format of such courses. This is quite surprising since most of the forum members on here appear to be fairly progressive and adherents to use of evidence.

there is some talk of more asociations having at least one member with a C&G 7303. This should iron out some of your frustrations!!
regards Tony, FDSc, C&G7303, etc etc, ;)

I Suggest that you go and do a course with your local club, its very helpfull and you'll get to meet lots of people who can help you.. Thats what i have done.

I wouldn't knock doing a course at all - but if your local association is fully booked, then it is perfectly possible to read a lot of books and start off with a nuc. This place is also an invaluable resource. We did it this way (for a variety of reasons), and our bees seem pretty happy and productive!

I probably would have done the same, I got the beekeeping bug late last year and it was too late to get a nuc then, so i did the course over the winter and will be getting a nuc in the next couple of weeks.

hi mick, i`m a pretty new keeper aswell, got interested at this time of year. tried the association, they were fantastic, did my practical training, then seemed daft taking on bees just for winter, so did the winter theory course, read some books then come spring got a nuc and haven`t looked back since. if i were oyu i would go to your local club, they will be able to tell you about local conditions, what queens suit best, who`s in your area, loads of info, and if there anything like my club are then great people to:cheers2:

Second yr beek so still know next to nothing! but, think about your own style of learning. Most people benefit best from a combination of all 3 styles and beekeeping is big on 3 I think

1.Received - Listener / Reader
2.Observer
3.Touch / experience

There is really useful knoweldge in several commonly used books (see other threads) but like most (I think) that knowledge did not make sense until I saw others doing it or better tried it for myself with support.

Join your local association, if poss get a mentor and a nuke if not try to get a mentor who will let you observe and question.

Just reached my first anniversary as a beek....I now know enough to realize how little I know! Also, what a diverse set of options and directions beekeeping can take you...just look at the list of sub-forum. Life will never be the same...never a dull moment with bees around :)

Oh and Welcome!

AMAE

Latest posts

Back