Wiring national deep frames

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buzzbutt

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Number of Hives
Hi to all,
I will be making foundation and wiring into National deep DN4 frames with horizontal wires.
My question is what is best three or four horizontal wires, the only info or images I can find are all related to Langstroth frames, not national deep DN4 frames. Thanks in advance for any info or pointers.
Regards
Buzzbutt.

Try Dave Cushman's site http://www.dave-cushman.net/bee/framewiring.html He seemed to suggest two lines of wire or fishing line will be enough for national brood frames.

*Correction?
The diagrams on this page seem to suggest 4 lines of wire http://www.dave-cushman.net/bee/bsframesides.html

(With jumbo lang/dadant I use three, with a wider space between the top bar and the first line because I've found it's strong enough, and the mostly leave a gap towards the bottom bars.
Other bees, and other beekeepers, may do things differently.)

Last edited:
I use three wires on 14 x 12 frames .. more or less equally spaced over the height of the frame - never had a failure even on new comb (and I'm foundationless).

three wires, on dead central and one an inch from top and the other inch from bottom, well thats what we did in the 1970's when i worked at Rothamsted at 2s/11d per hour student slave labour

3 horizontal wires are good. I use in langstroth 2 wires, but it is not actually good.
Our frame seller said, that almost no one wants any more 2-wire frames.

.... I do not understand, why to use fishing line. How do you get inside the foundation?

I heat stainkess steel wires with ekectrict. I use 1000 W heating apparatus in the circuit. Many uses car accu loader to heat wires.

i use brood frames in supers too and I prefer, that there has been some brood, because combs stand better extraction.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back