Swapping out brood boxes

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
3 National
Morning, just a quick question.

One of my hives has become a propolis factory this year, so I was thinking of swapping out the brood box. This is not something that I have considered before, is this something that is general practice.

The current BB has been in use for 3 seasons.

Is the creation of large amounts of Propolis a genetic factor with the queen , as I cant see that anything else in the BB has changed.

Have a good day, and enjoy the benefits of a good flow.

Many thanks

Lee

Morning, just a quick question.

One of my hives has become a propolis factory this year, so I was thinking of swapping out the brood box. This is not something that I have considered before, is this something that is general practice.

The current BB has been in use for 3 seasons.

Is the creation of large amounts of Propolis a genetic factor with the queen , as I cant see that anything else in the BB has changed.

Have a good day, and enjoy the benefits of a good flow.

Many thanks

Lee
I don't know about genes but bees and propolis go together.

Some bees are really propolis factories... others less so...luck of the draw. Changing the box won't make any difference...they will just set about the new box in the same way. I have one colony that are like that.. I just live with it., if its what the bees want I think they should be allowed to do it. Yes it's sticky and makes life a bit difficult when inspecting but it's not something that requires treatment... just a bucket of washing soda solution and judicial use of your hive tool. If the colony is good in others respects...why try and change them ?

a propolis factory
Fit a propolis screen and harvest later this year; keep clean, freeze screen, crunch up over clean paper. Sell locally in little glass jars; expect to ask £10/25g, or more of your market will bear it.

Promote the anti-bacterial, anti-septic, anti-viral and antioxidant properties; eat it raw, or stand for a month in a jar of overproof rum or vodka; use as a tincture.

Latest posts

Back