Also not new just back

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BugsInABox

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
TBH
Number of Hives
I didn’t participate much here last season and then payed the price and lost my two tbh colonies over winter 🙁.
Anyway managed to catch what I thought was a large swarm mid May - could never spot the queen though.
Kept checking and then sadly the laying worker signs appeared.
Took a risk and put in a bought in queen Black Mountain Buckfast) - they’ve accepted her.
BIAS yesterday.

Hi everyone.

I didn’t participate much here last season and then payed the price and lost my two tbh colonies over winter 🙁.
Anyway managed to catch what I thought was a large swarm mid May - could never spot the queen though.
Took a risk and put in a bought in queen Black Mountain Buckfast) - they’ve accepted her.
BIAS yesterday.

Hi everyone.
That's good news ....it would have been prudent to put in a frame with some eggs to check that they were actually queenless but ... with no other colonies you didn't have that option, but you got lucky ! Good luck with your new queen and welcome back to the wonderful world of beekeeping !

BIAS yesterday.

Hi everyone.
Welcome back. Are you still running TBHs?

I am yes. 3 of them now - but I try to limit to two overwintered colonies.
I am though thinking of coming over to the dark side 😉 maybe.
I did in 2014. Nice to do less work and get more honey.. (Just saying)

Latest posts

Back