Wired foundation and heather honey

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tonyatcwfarm

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
7 colonies(national) 1 nuc
I have a full super of capped heather honey
Problem is it's on wired foundation
Any suggestions on how to use it apart from leaving on as winter stores
Thanks

You can scrape the wax and heather honey back to the foundation. Although you may warp or damage the foundation with one or two accidents, you can reuse the frames and foundation next year.

Cut out, along the wires?

If it's 95% Heather I'd say it's too good to feed it all back to them.

You can scrape the wax and heather honey back to the foundation. Although you may warp or damage the foundation with one or two accidents, you can reuse the frames and foundation next year.

I scrape it back to the foundation myself

I've taken to providing a starter strip on the frames and letting the bees make natural comb. Takes all those nasty chemicals out (misses the point of the thread natch)

Sent from my STV100-4 using Tapatalk

No the price is in Euros.

You can buy mine off me for £'s though if you prefer...LOL

PH

It does - slightly messy and not as efficient as this:
https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=i&r...Vz6AxetIc4HxSnMysvIiiTDg&ust=1504472348372110

but adequate

SWMBO said no

Seriously? Have you tried the roller, I would give it perhaps a one out of ten for doing the job.
I agree on the hand held heather loosener, it's messy and slow going but it works quite well, maybe a six or a seven out of ten.
Swienty don't seem to be offering their foot pedal operated loosener anymore, shame as that's the one I was going to get when my ship comes in.

Seriously? Have you tried the roller,

yes,as an experiment, it worked, more left in the comb than the hand held loosener and OK if a person had only a few frames to extract (rather than give it back to the bees)
I used the hand held loosener for twenty odd supers last year and it was managable although I had a right arm like public schoolboy's after a night in with matron's Grattan catalogue (or a Tory's after half an hour with the new edition of pig farmers monthly :D)

Do you uncap before using the handheld or just use it to uncap?

yes,as an experiment, it worked, more left in the comb than the hand held loosener and OK if a person had only a few frames to extract (rather than give it back to the bees)
I used the hand held loosener for twenty odd supers last year and it was managable although I had a right arm like public schoolboy's after a night in with matron's Grattan catalogue (or a Tory's after half an hour with the new edition of pig farmers monthly :D)

:icon_204-2::icon_204-2:

although I had a right arm like public schoolboy's after a night in with matron's Grattan catalogue (or a Tory's after half an hour with the new edition of pig farmers monthly :D)

Or a Welshman with a copy of sheep farming weekly :D

Lol

or a Yorkshireman with a full book of green shield stamps

Knowing how obtuse many tykes can be you'd need to explain that in more simple terms. They would then probably just revert to type and beat the Cra££p out of you! :D

Latest posts

Back