winter stores and granulation

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RoseCottage

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
WBC
Number of Hives
From 5 to 2 and hopefully a better year
Just a quick question really...

When I visited the girls to do their OA treatment a couple of weeks ago I noticed that their sugar syrup stores seemed granulated. Is this normal? Do they deal with this ok considering they are not going out for water? They certainly seemed to have lots of food - almost as much as when they started winter...or so it felt as I struggled to lift the brood out of the way. They were spread across both brood and super.

It was the same last year I think so its a question I've been meaning to ask about for quite some time,

Sam

Are you sure it was the sugar and not stored Ivy honey ?

I'm sure it was sugar syrup...
All the best,
Sam

Sugar syrup does not normally granulate but honey does it.

It has no meaning for wintering, what ever it is.

Finman,
Can you please explain a little more...I didn't quite understand. Are you saying that even if the sugar syrup starts to crystallise Its ok for the bees?

All the best,
Sam

This is the very reason why I worry about relying on hefting. Hive heavy still- all is well :hurray:- but if solid granulated ivy in there they could be starving..in that heavy hive:(

Please keep an eye on what is happening under the hive. If clear ground you can see wax uncapping happening. If rough ground-put a tray under to examine hive activity.
There will be lines of wax on a feeding hive-
Little wax dropped.. you have a problem!

Any doubts --Fondant..

Finman,
Can you please explain a little more...I didn't quite understand. Are you saying that even if the sugar syrup starts to crystallise Its ok for the bees?

All the best,
Sam

I take honey off from hive that they have honey about 5 kg per hive for winter.
Then I feed 20 kg sugar.

My experience is that sugar stays as tough syrup.
Crystallized areas tell where is real honey.

In two years "ready to use syrup" clystallized. Beekeepers were afraid that what happens to bees. Nothing happened. It was widely written in our forum.

Honey is mixture of two sugars. Fructose stays as liguid and glugose makes crystals. Cane sugar is a molecyle where is glucose+fructose. Starch is glucose + glucose.

canesugar = saccharose molecyle

3da29960.gif

Starch Bee has enzymes which split starch into sugars, just like human has.
Starch.jpg

I have found that when i feed sugar syrup it does seem to granulate and hard to remove. I only feed my bees fondant now home made out of honey and icing sugar i only use the bees honey what they have made nothing else.:seeya:

Latest posts

Back