Winter Prep-Ventilation, Insulation & Insertion

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
My winter preparations have included above cover board 30mm polystyrene insulation over a carpet square, insertion of varroa board to reduce draughts with sponge stuffed between the the gaps, narrowed bee space entrance with mouse guard. Three of my 4 hives also have (nadired) supers below brood box(no QE's)

Just worried if it could be too cosy with not enough ventilation; would you do any different?

Hives in exposed position, hive without super is polystyrene from Abelo.

The bees produce their own ventilation by fanning.
:iagree:

Kick the carpet into touch - doesn't do much apart from act like a sponge, instead of polystyrene just source a piece of 40 or 50mm kingspan/celotex whatever, cut it to fit snugly inside the roof,block the vents in the roof then fix the kingspan permanently inside - helps keep the hive cool in summer as well.

Personally I wouldn't faff around too with sealing up the inspection board - never leave any of mine in, but if you insist you need to take it out regularly and clean the crud away.

Also if you use a mouse guard leave a wide entrance as it will quickly get clogged up with dead bees otherwise.

Feed treat and insulate with a block of kingspan, say good night and see you all Christmas time for a bit of vaping

My winter preparations have included above cover board 30mm polystyrene insulation over a carpet square, insertion of varroa board to reduce draughts with sponge stuffed between the the gaps, narrowed bee space entrance with mouse guard. Three of my 4 hives also have (nadired) supers below brood box(no QE's)

Just worried if it could be too cosy with not enough ventilation; would you do any different?

Hives in exposed position, hive without super is polystyrene from Abelo.

Main principle is that inner cover has better insulation than walls. Are your poly walls 4 cm? ..If so, 3 cm is too cool, and it codensates water, I do not know what is that carpet.

What about floor? Solid or mesh?

I have a piece of 100mm celotex in the super over the crownboard, and have made a cosy out of 25mm celotex which covers the lot.

I have a piece of 100mm celotex in the super over the crownboard, and have made a cosy out of 25mm celotex which covers the lot.

I have 9 mm wood board and 50 - 75 mm plastic foam matress. Enough in -30C temps.

No point in sealing up OMF. I have ever only closed them down a tad in really hard weather. Certainly no point at all with a shallow below the brood box. Bees will not go downwards in the depths of winter and will certainly not be fanning while clustered!

Main principle is that inner cover has better insulation than walls. Are your poly walls 4 cm? ..If so, 3 cm is too cool, and it codensates water, I do not know what is that carpet.

What about floor? Solid or mesh?
It's OMF and Axminster cut to fit on top of cover board

Suggesting a super above the brood? Why, I'm using an eke to give space for my carpet square.

I do not use supers neither over or under. And no on in Finland use extra space during winter. That supering system does that condensation happens inside the hive.

Latest posts

Back