Removing Winter insulation and unblock roof ventilation

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

john1

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi,
I had insulated my hive with Kingspan 50mm in winter. I put it in an empty super just above the super with frames and some honey. It looks like the whether is much better now. So, is it safe to remove it?
And also, I had blocked the ventilation on the roof with a tape. Is it safe to remove that as well?
Thanks

I had insulated my hive with Kingspan 50mm in winter. I put it in an empty super just above the super with frames and some honey. It looks like the whether is much better now. So, is it safe to remove it?

Yes

And also, I had blocked the ventilation on the roof with a tape. Is it safe to remove that as well?

I would block that all year, personally. Opinions differ .....

Hi,
Thanks
1 yes but don't forget insulation works both ways - keeps heat in during winter and out in summer so the bees can regulate conditions more easily.
2 no point in playing about opening holes in the roof in my opinion. I use a abelo poly hives with solid crown boards and one piece insulated roof.above all year round.

I leave the insultation on all year, and I don't really see what the point of the roof ventilation is for.
Exactly
The insulation will keep the baking sun off during hot days and keep the hive warm on cold nights.
Only use the varroa monitor tray when monitoring-
the bees regulate their own temperature and humidity by circulating air through the floor so imposing ventilation on them is blindly counterproductive.
They know far more about it than we ever will.
And they've been doing it a bit longer too.

The holes in the crown boards are for feeding, aren't they?
In my first year I kept a hole for ventilation and got lots of condensation and mould. Since keeping the holes closed Ive had no mould.

The holes in the crown boards are for feeding, aren't they?
In my first year I kept a hole for ventilation and got lots of condensation and mould. Since keeping the holes closed Ive had no mould.
Just a pity most crown boards seem to have two elongated holes which provide a mounting facility for porter bee escapes (spit). My crown boards I make from clear polycarbonate and cut one 25mm diameter central hole which is kept covered most of the year but opened for the duration of the feeding period when I sit a round rapid feeder directly over it. I use dedicated rhombus clearer boards when the need arrives.

Just a pity most crown boards seem to have two elongated holes which provide a mounting facility for porter bee escapes (spit). My crown boards I make from clear polycarbonate and cut one 25mm diameter central hole which is kept covered most of the year but opened for the duration of the feeding period when I sit a round rapid feeder directly over it. I use dedicated rhombus clearer boards when the need arrives.
Porter bee escapes had their faults but I remember when we had nothing else

Just to clarify (sorry):
I have Abelo poly hive with 4x roof vents, OMF with inspection tray, crown board with a single central mesh vent and a feeder hole:

Close and keep closed all the crownboard and roof vents all year round?
Leave the varroa monitoring board out except when monitoring?
Bees sort out the temperature, humidity and CO2 regulation via the OMF and the entrance?
Is there a situation where the varroa tray should be placed to close the OMF if the temp drops?

Thank you.
Paul (Surrey, UK)

Are you saying that the open mesh floor should be open all year? Seems like that would create a massive draft even with the roof vents etc closed.

Are you saying that the open mesh floor should be open all year? Seems like that would create a massive draft even with the roof vents etc closed.
I've never closed mine - even in the higher altitude sites, never had a problem, bees come out in the spring in top form.
the inserts are called inspection boards for a reason, I actually forget where I've put the few I have.

Latest posts

Back