Winter OA Trickling

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hope all you trickle & treaters have new queens on order.... some say that OA in sticky syrup poured over them in winter can cause them harm.
Some say trump won the election🥳

I am coming up to my fifth winter OA trickling, I have yet to lose a hive over winter. Once trickled at Christmas they get no further mite treatment until the supers come off for harvesting at the end of July. I looked into vaping but I value my lungs too much to risk it for a few insects. People will do what people do but after five years I know what works for me; each to their own, I say.

Interesting comment from a Regional bee inspector last week on a webinar I attended. He always vaps
Nucs especially if small, though of course you have to take care not to over - treat due to their size. Said he’s had issues with dysentery when trickling, especially if the Nuc is small. Perhaps caused by the sugar solution. Was surprised to hear that but mention as thought interesting. Will be vaping my Nucs carefully this winter

Inspectors have been vaping their colonies for years and not with Apibioxal either
Would that be because Inspectors are also experienced beekeepers who have knowledge from time served as opposed from reading a few books and taking a few "modules"?

Would that be because Inspectors are also experienced beekeepers who have knowledge from time served as opposed from reading a few books and taking a few "modules"?
Totally inappropriate comment.
Probably best to keep opinions on book-learning to the other current thread where there are already divisive opinions on it.
Keep this thread actually about OA. Otherwise we could easily take any or all of the threads off-topic this way.

Interesting comment from a Regional bee inspector last week on a webinar I attended. He always vaps
Nucs especially if small, though of course you have to take care not to over - treat due to their size. Said he’s had issues with dysentery when trickling, especially if the Nuc is small. Perhaps caused by the sugar solution. Was surprised to hear that but mention as thought interesting. Will be vaping my Nucs carefully this winter

It's the result of too much of fecal matter in the bee’s gut, isn't it ? Simply a response, a condition brought on by being forced to digest excess food stuff at a time when they dont/cant leave the hive to excrete normally.
Vaporisation wouldn't cause that.
Inspectors have been vaping their colonies for years and not with Apibioxal either

It's the result of too much of fecal matter in the bee’s gut, isn't it ? Simply a response, a condition brought on by being forced to digest excess food stuff at a time when they dont/cant leave the hive to excrete normally.
Vaporisation wouldn't cause that.
Trickled for years and no dysentery issues in fact I would suggest far fewer than most beeks I know. But then I feed thymol.

That would be just to keep the wood clean and nothing to do with varroa then?

Totally inappropriate comment.
Probably best to keep opinions on book-learning to the other current thread where there are already divisive opinions on it.
Keep this thread actually about OA. Otherwise we could easily take any or all of the threads off-topic this way.
They do anyway.
As long as they don’t break forum rules

Yes but that particular comment was posted specifically to have a dig at the modules that the poster disagrees with. It's not a case of innocently wandering off topic.
Hardly likely to have a dig at the ones he does agree with is he?

Latest posts

Back