Winter OA Trickling

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Remember that trickling OA kills any open brood that may be present, I am looking at using a Gas Vap and treating from the top using a modified crown board. The crown board has around a 25mm spacing above the frames with a hole drilled in one side into which the gas vap is inserted. The vapour enters from above and decends through the combs (rather than trying to rise up from below) If you look on YouTube at a lot of professional beekeepers they don’t fully seal hives when treating so I’ll be trying that this year and checking for mite drop.
That’s what I do. But with a sublimox. It works very well

My colony with 10 capped cells that I OA dribbled on Wednesday had dropped dropped 557 by mid-day today. Really pls with my effort as they have had a brood break as well!

I know loads who use OA trickle and always have, why would they stop doing something that works for them?
Because there is a better way .... for a relatively low entry cost ... and which has been proved to be a successful treatment and which does not kill brood or require the hive to be opened up mid-winter ...

See my other post Phil, people are opening hives and checking for brood so what harm comes to the colony when the crown board is open for a minute or less? One visit.
OAV, the health and safety aspect, buying the PPE and the means to operate the various devices and the multiple visits, sometimes many visits?
AFAIA, none of these beekeepers have killed their colonies by trickling, in fact my mate has had no Winter losses.

Because there is a better way .... for a relatively low entry cost ... and which has been proved to be a successful treatment and which does not kill brood or require the hive to be opened up mid-winter ...
Does not seem that successful to me judging by the efforts put in by beeks on this forum.

See my other post Phil, people are opening hives and checking for brood so what harm comes to the colony when the crown board is open for a minute or less? One visit.
OAV, the health and safety aspect, buying the PPE and the means to operate the various devices and the multiple visits, sometimes many visits?
AFAIA, none of these beekeepers have killed their colonies by trickling, in fact my mate has had no Winter losses.
I know Steve, I wasn't saying it was wrong ... just that there's a better way ... and as for opening up to check for brood .. if they Vape then there is no need ...

I see OAV as 'another' way rather than better, in fact I gave up singing the merits of vaping because it was difficult to convince anyone that putting their own health at risk to achieve the same outcome was better at all.
The trickle method is quick, easy, less kit to lug about and is far less risk to the beekeeper and given the amount of vapes required per colony, at various times, not something to be sniffed at (no pun intended)

Th
I see OAV as 'another' way rather than better, in fact I gave up singing the merits of vaping because it was difficult to convince anyone that putting their own health at risk to achieve the same outcome was better at all.
The trickle method is quick, easy, less kit to lug about and is far less risk to the beekeeper and given the amount of vapes required per colony, at various times, not something to be sniffed at (no pun intended)
This is what puts me off a bit. That and the risk of torching my hive.

Yes ...there were a few people on here that were a bit cavalier about H & S when it came to OAV I would agree but
It really does not cost the earth for a decent mask and some commonsense...although that's in short supply sometimes...

For winter treatments 1 vape or trickles all that’s required not the multiple autumn vapes. I started trickling when there wasn’t any alternatives so am happy still to do both. Suggestions you’ll do harm opening the hives is rubbish. I did once have a group of Beeks who asked about winter treatments when I described trickling 1 became quite adamant that if you opened hives during the winter you’d kill the bees, to the point he was becoming annoying!!! I finally had to point out to him that I had been doing it for 2-3 years already and it was him with wintering issues not me. I don’t blame the guy though as it was kind of my initial reaction years previously.

This is what puts me off a bit. That and the risk of torching my hive.
Very understandable, some people do things that others won't. I've done both but lately I've questioned the benefit over the risk factor and not sure it's worth it tbh.
If the end result is the same, why put your health at risk?
My point about the multiple vaping is that OAV is not a silver bullet.

Latest posts

Back