Winter losses 2012/13

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What percentage of your hives did you lose this winter (last years results in brackets)

• 5 hives or less: No losses (2011/12 46%)

Votes: 75 33.0%
  • 5 hives or less: 1-25% losses (9%)

Votes: 18 7.9%
  • 5 hives or less: 26-50% losses (8%)

Votes: 23 10.1%
  • 5 hives or less: 51-100% losses (2%)

Votes: 16 7.0%
  • More than 5 hives: No losses (13%)

Votes: 19 8.4%
  • More than 5 hives: 1-10% losses (15%)

Votes: 22 9.7%
  • More than 5 hives: 11-20% losses (4%)

Votes: 21 9.3%
  • More than 5 hives: 21-30% losses (2%)

Votes: 13 5.7%
  • More than 5 hives: 31-50% losses (0.5%)

Votes: 13 5.7%
  • More than 5 hives: 51-100% losses (0.5%)

Votes: 7 3.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Finally voted today. 1 winter loss due to prevailing conditions. 2 losses due to vandals to in total 3 hives from 12.

does any one have ne idears why my queen would of sudenly stopped laying ? we ante had to cheat apigard or oxilic acid for months + can see her in there just no eggs all older larver should i by new queen only gt one hive hoping to split this year

does any one have ne idears why my queen would of sudenly stopped laying ? we ante had to cheat apigard or oxilic acid for months + can see her in there just no eggs all older larver should i by new queen only gt one hive hoping to split this year

oh + i dont whant to loose a ow queen like her carm natur and she done great last year and winted with a near full hive oh and also any idears y we gt lighte bees and dark bees like italian + near native alot of feeding

oh + i dont whant to loose a ow queen like her carm natur and she done great last year and winted with a near full hive oh and also any idears y we gt lighte bees and dark bees like italian + near native alot of feeding

Might be worth starting a new thread on this question, Kristin :)

Maybe 25% losses from observation of foragers and previous removal of known dead colonies overwinter. No idea on drone layers. Not even contemplating a first inspection of any hives for at least another week, maybe more.

Voted, at last. Poly hives. All have laying queens with good brood patterns.

Well I opened up last Monday so I could say all hives have survived winter, But the jury is still out on two - Although I didn't look for the queen, she was seen in four although one of the colones small and with no brood (may be an autumn superseded queen) The hive where I didn't see the queen has no brood but plenty of bees.So it depends on when i inspect next what i'll do with those two.
Sixth hive is at the association apiary so I haven't seen it but i have good reports.

Results are in - Welsh blacks going great guns packing in the pollen and loads of BIAS - the two Buckfasts building up slowly but not as good as the dark ones, bringing in plenty of stores and pollen The small colony which i put in a nuc last month - even smaller, a very small patch of drone brood and some 5/6 day old larvae but no sign of queen shaken out in front of another hive. the broodless colony styill no sign of brood or queen so they have been united with the weaker of the two buckfasts, so a 33.3333333333333333% loss for me this year :D

so a 33.3333333333333333% loss for me this year :D

That means you're 0.443333333333333333333% worse than average for beeks with 5 hives or FEWER.

How can you possibly hold up your head in public, jenkinsbrynmair?

And to think I bought you a cup of char at the Convention!

Oh, the shame!

Dusty

How can you possibly hold up your head in public, jenkinsbrynmair?
Dusty

I suppose also that I'll get an exponential rise in scorn from Finman - being a two hive owner - SQUARED!! The up side is I've now got plenty of drawn comb for the demarree increase and the nucs I plan to make up.

'THE WORLD SHALL HEAR FROM ME AGAIN! mwwahahahahah!' :D

Hi, Both of our 2 hives survived this year although one hive almost didnt make it but recovering well now.

Lost one colony to isolation starvation.

However since then I have:-

United 4 colonies down to 2
Artificially swarmed 2 colonies
Collected 3 swarms

So overall I'm +3 already - more uniting before the main flow methinks:icon_204-2:

Latest posts

Back