Winter feeding

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

glannin

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Have received some info this week from NBU about winter survival and rescuing a starving colony. They give 4 suggestions; 1 feed honey, 2 feed sugar syrup, 3 spray with weak sugar syrup, 4 feed fondant.

As a newbie, I thought you could only feed fondant at this time of year so would be interested to know if anyone has done anything different ?

If my hive has urgent lack of food, I pour into combs 60% syrup.
They need it several litres.

Sprey on syrup means that they must be in choma allredy.

You contacted the NBU for advice on your colony? That is a bit like calling an ambulance if you have a cold.

I got an email with this advice in it on the 27th from the NBU - guess everyone registered on BeeBase does?

FG

I read your post. It says 'rescuing a starving colony'
There is more than a subtle difference between normal winter feeding and the above.

A 'starving colony' will be dead in a very short time-space and needs emergency resuscitation. A colony which is 'getting light on stores' is not the same and just needs extra food supplied, but will become a starving colony in the near future, if nothing is done to avoid that scenario.

RAB

Thanks Rab. I certainly hope to avoid 'starving colony' scenario. I was just interested to know if a starving colony would actually take down syrup at this time of year and to know if anyone has had experience of this? Just trying to increase my knowledge.

Latest posts

Back