Winter bee die off what to expect

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Natureboy44

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
First Winter with bees so was wandering what sort of bee die off to expect and what is normal. For example I have been seeing 1-2 dead bees in the mornings dead outside hive and just the last two days seen 4-6 each day. Just looking for confirmation for what is normal to expect and what isn't as it starts to colder.

sounds about normal - what you need to epxect as well is, after a long cold spell, the bees will be tightly clustered and not up to much at all (certainly no housekeeping or mortuary duties), but as soon as they get a comparatively warm day they will get a little more active and will do a quick clearout - so all the mortalities during the cluster period will all turn up on the doorstep at once.

As mostly we don't see the corpses as they are either hauled off by the undertakers or die on cleansing flights we are pretty much unaware of the death rate.

I once had an OSR site in a disused concrete silage pit. I was offshore at the time and on returning home I was shocked at the near carpet of bees on the concrete and wondered if there had been spraying. No, it was just the true death rate on view.

PH

1,000 + bees die each day from a colony in summer..So one or two a day in winter is a rounding error.:paparazzi:

Photo of dead thrown out one sunny day from 2 hives after prolonged cold spell in feb 2013

Attachments

• feb 2013.JPG
    feb 2013.JPG
    270 KB · Views: 91

Latest posts

Back