Will the long winter have an effect on colonies building up?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Finsbury

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
My first question - I’m standing by for a ribbing ;)

This is my first full year and I was wondering today if this will have an effect or will the bees simply catch up? If I remember rightly this time last year was much better weather so I presume colonies were ahead in comparison...

Luckily nature means that a long winter holds back flowers too. We hope that when the bees start flying there will be plenty for them to get nectar from. The main flow needs to be when they are at their strongest. hopefully later in the year....... fingers crossed
There will always be good,bad and awful years
E

This is my first full year and I was wondering today if this will have an effect or will the bees simply catch up? If I remember rightly this time last year was much better weather so I presume colonies were ahead in comparison...

Spot on....
Very few years are the same. It's a different learning curve every year.

Depends what you mean by ‘catch up’.

Yes, they would progress sufficiently to survive the next winter (otherwise, they would soon become extinct in that particular locality).

Swarming would be curtailed to an extent if the weather was not conducive for collecting a good surplus in the colony.

Remember, in nature, the bees would only have natural predators, but humans expect these hardworking little slaves to produce an excess for them to steal each year.

Those that have already promoted early brooding will, no doubt, already have burgeoning colonies. But how much they may need to feed their bees, until they are able to support themselves and collect a surplus, is yet to be seen.

About 5/6 years ago, many bee colonies were still being fed by their keepers into May, after an early spring start which deteriorated into a very cold period of about 6 weeks.

Enrico has summed it up nicely, but seasons have been much less ‘regular’ for the last couple of decades than previously. Put down, initially, to global warming, now more universally accepted as climate change. Most probably brought about by human activity.

But there are still climate change deniers around, just as there are neonic pesticide defenders and people who still puff on their fags every day (agreed, some just cannot throw off the addiction, but those starting to smoke cigarettes are the real non-thinkers of the next generation).

Just to note climate change is natural and so is global cooling and global warming. No such thing as man made climate change ;) , we live on earth that runs in cycles and we are in a warm blip which is actually abnormal. The normal is cold and really cold. Saying that yes cold does effect numbers.

IT is Polar Vortex which makes weather period cold now.

Not even beast of east.

Change in such a short space of time though (discounting meteors & volcanoes)?

Yes. And has been worse in history. Just look at the frozen mammoths with food still in its mouth. Was flash frozen , scientists say that it must of been so cold that they would of been frozen in minutes

Yes. And has been worse in history. Just look at the frozen mammoths with food still in its mouth. Was flash frozen , scientists say that it must of been so cold that they would of been frozen in minutes

Yeah... But AMM did not freeze. It lived happily on tundra and gathered honey stores.

The problem with a longer cold winter such as this one is that the number of 'winter bees' will be falling rapidly due to their old age. If you do not have sufficient bees to keep the brood warm the queen will not lay. Small number of bees means only small amounts of brood and a very slow build up.
Forage can be an issue as this year my bees missed the winter aconites, snowdrops and crocus that usually provide an early pollen boost.
The good news is that hives that have survived the winter are of sturdy stock.
This is natural selection in progress.

As you live in Brighton the recent cold weather should make minimal difference to the build up of your colonies.

Just to note climate change is natural and so is global cooling and global warming. No such thing as man made climate change ;) , we live on earth that runs in cycles and we are in a warm blip which is actually abnormal. The normal is cold and really cold. Saying that yes cold does effect numbers.

Well done Jafer2. We no longer have 'Global warming'! Climate change is, as you say, natural and cyclical. If everyone admitted this there would be no cushy incomes from dubious statistics and no reasons for taxing people as hard. The dubious scientific fraternity feed their rubbish to politicians, (who are all dubious!), and they use this data as an excuse to have grand climate change conventions and find another excuse to tax us.

The sun doesn't move, the earth does!!
He he.
E
err the pedant in me says the Earth does move..If it did not we would have perpetual day or night or in between.. It rotates of course.

Pedant mode off...
:spy:

Latest posts

Back