Will the bees find the fondant?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Ben
No I am not going to do an OA treatment.
I live in Sharpthorne, near Forest Row
We run a business in Uckfield
Where are you?
Clare

Piltdown, near Uckfield.

Not doing OA either.

Are you a member of "Brosville's" forum?

Ben P

Last edited:
Why are you two not going to use OA?

Is this on principle or are you thinking your numbers are low enough to avoid it?

PH

In short. Yes.

Miniscule mite drop from apiguard over the past 2 years...

Ben P

You may have seen very few varroa - but they are there and will multiply uncontrollably when spring arrives and the colonies expand if you don't treat. Oxalic treatment is far more important than thymol (Apiguard, etc etc) anyway and if either should omitted, let it be the thymol one. Winter season is the best chance in the year for dealing varroa a good thumping that any beekeeper could wish for. So don't miss the chance to allow your colonies to grow relatively unmolested by this awful pest.

Arfermo,

if either should omitted, let it be the thymol one

I happen to disagree with you.

I think the late summer/early autumn treatments are much more important than winter oxalic.

The reason is that all the wintering bees will be raised just before the clustering stage and as few of those as possible need to be affected by varroa reproductive efforts.

OK, if you still have too many mites going into winter the oxalic acid treatment is a an option. But there is no excuse for taking already damaged adult bees into the winter. They will be vectors for disease, even before the bees cluster, and also they cannot be classed as good candidates for over-wintering well and being able to start the spring build-up.

Regards, RAB

Latest posts

Back