Will the bees find the fondant?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh - thanks for clarifying that one for me! I had visions of the girls only being able to get to the fondant immediately where the slit in the cling film is, or crawling up into the cling film and getting stuck. Of course they would chew their way out if needs be. And the take away container or similar on top of the fondant would stop them getting into the roof space. I have a eureka moment - hooray!!!:svengo:

Oh and also, can you see anything wrong with putting an eke on the bb above the crown board, putting the fondant on, then packing the rest of the eke with insulation (in my case polysterene)? Then putting the roof back on (which has polysterene already in place inside it).

I cut a block into 6 this time of year and wrap it in cling film.

When at the hives I tread on two at a time they go flat to about an inch so fit under the roof no problem,cut two slits and on they go.

I have a poly super on my hives, and a home made eke on the nucs, and on the hives, in the super is approx 10kg of fondant, roughly covered in the plastic it came in.

I am a bit rough and ready with it as what ever is left over after winter I remove and turn into syrup. Nothing is wasted.

PH

Finished with that thanks now take it away Mr Beekeeper, oh and we do prefer the grease proof paper you usually give us thanks.

Blackberry?

Well yes but how much can you feed like that.

Look folks if you need to feed then FEED dinna mess about with suppies gie them a FEED. and by that I mean kilos of it, not five grams.

Is that clear enough? In case not ....

I feed 10kg at a time. One lump for winter and that is that. Sorted.

PH

Is it a problem if the fondant drips slightly through the feeder hole? I have some fondant in a takeaway container with two slits about 4mm wide in the lid. Turned upside down over a bowl there is a slight drip which would obviously also happen in the hive. I don't want it dripping onto clustering bees and them not being able to remove it.
Hope you all had a good Crimbo.
Fb

I don't want to appear rude but have you hefted the hive to see if it actually needs extra food?

I have hefted and it appears quite heavy, although being a newbie would prefer to err on the side of caution and feed fondant too.

Not rude at all, I have heafted and it is quite light!
WBC so only memory for comparison as other hive is National.
Had a peek through the crown board and they have found it.
Hurrah.... Pile of dead ones outside entrance today so that is a good sign
fingers crossed for the rest of the winter
Love to your bees from mine
Clare

Can someone advise me please if it is ok to put the fondant inside a takeaway container complete with slits, on the feeder hole above the cluster. I did try the container upside down on a bowl and this morning some of the fondant had come out. Don't want it dripping on the girls if it would be a problem.

Thanks - FB

Can someone advise me please

http://www.beekeepingforum.co.uk/sho...chinese&page=3

Post #22 explains well enough. If the link doesn't work, search for 'chinese' and 'fondant' as a simple option.

Regarding just putting on a kilo at a time: I do not add it as some do. I simply use it if my hives are possibly light late in the winter, not now. I fed them well enough (well actually, they fed themselves) so they will not be light before February at the earliest.

If your colonies need feeding now, they are going to need far more than a kilo of food by mid-March, so put plenty on now.

RAB

Hi Ben
I am on a single brood on wbc and national. WBC is a july Nuc and national is a July swarm.
Just had a peek through the wbc perspex roof (I know, I know) and saw oodles of bees quite near the fondant so they have found it!
As I put the roof back on ( bit of a bang) several bees flew out to see what was happening!
So all my fears and sleepless nights about their future are now relieved.
How are yours doing Ben?
Clare

Clare - have you put your fondant under the cb then?

Hi
The fondant is on top of the crown board and there is a hole cut in the pack (apifonda) and this is over the hole in the crownboard and then I have put some insulation over the top.
Clare

Clare P,

Mine alright. They are on single nat. When I hefted in mid Dec they were slightly light after the cold snap so I fed them some apifonda (like you). Fondant has been in for a couple of weeks but has not been greatly depleted. Saw a few bees flying today...

Are you going to do an OA treatment?

Where abouts in E.Sussex are you based?

Ben P

Latest posts

Back