Wild Colonies Overwintering ?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
40 Plus
All

Visited friend who has holiday home by the sea, last summer had wild colony nesting under eaves of roof, this summer really large colony also.

I know wil be told have swarmed each year into same nest, but maybe not, maybe overwintered , maybe bit more resistant to varroa ... maybe ..

Thoughts ?

well they don't swarm into same nest, but the nest would continue to be there wouldn't it, because they don't all sod off, and as for the varroa, I dont treat mine, 3yrs and my bees are doing fine, have increased from one colony to three,

well they don't swarm into same nest, but the nest would continue to be there wouldn't it, because they don't all sod off, and as for the varroa, I dont treat mine, 3yrs and my bees are doing fine, have increased from one colony to three,

Not knocking it but keep a careful eye open for deformed wings.
E

well they don't swarm into same nest, but the nest would continue to be there wouldn't it, because they don't all sod off

?? Ah Jaysus ... I know that ??

The general consensus being that they would die off in winter, and a swarm early next season would reoccupy the old nest obviously being attracted by dry ideal nest, already drawn comb, scent etc. As opposed to being a feral colony that overwinter and manage to stave off the ravaging effects of the Varroa mite, as yours have commendably done .

I wonder who else does not treat for Varroa, know a well known Beekeeper here 50 plus hives, tried it last winter, and had big losses and vowed never again.

Last edited:
I wonder who else does not treat for Varroa, know a well known Beekeeper here 50 plus hives, tried it last winter, and had big losses and vowed never again.

Not exactly treatment free but my TBH is in Its fourth year without treatment and is strong. I treat my framed hives but only with thymol I would use other treatments if necessary but don't seem to need them. I am considering no treatments on one apiary as i sort of run my framed hives similar to the TBH but not completely sure it's the right thing to do.

Four years no treatment. No feeding.

Lost one colony which was treated before I bought it but no idea what happened becuase in the spring the was just a handfull of dead bees, and lost one small nuc which was a late starter.

so did people who had treated..

why would a wild colony of bees, die off in winter????

I suppose for the same reason there are virtually no wild honeybee colonies any more, the introduction of varroa destructor and other enviromental pressures, intensive farming/loss of habitats, widespread use of pesticides etc.

That was my original reason for posting, the chance that maybe , hopefully bees are slowly evolving , to adapt to their new parasite, maybe this will never happen, maybe it will take thousands of years ...

It's probably more the varroa is adapting as it's bad news for the parasite to kill it's host.

I suppose for the same reason there are virtually no wild honeybee colonies any more, the introduction of varroa destructor and other enviromental pressures, intensive farming/loss of habitats, widespread use of pesticides etc.

That was my original reason for posting, the chance that maybe , hopefully bees are slowly evolving , to adapt to their new parasite, maybe this will never happen, maybe it will take thousands of years ...

afraid I don't see it that way, being a pest controller, were always getting calls for massive colonies in roof spaces, that have definitely been there for more than a year

afraid I don't see it that way, being a pest controller, were always getting calls for massive colonies in roof spaces, that have definitely been there for more than a year

I guess a roof space is going to be somewhat warmer than a damp dead tree or corner of a shed.

Why do some colonies in hives die off for no apparent reason....

I suppose for the same reason there are virtually no wild honeybee colonies any more

Every swarm that doesnt get caught and rehoused, creates a new wild colony.

Therefore I alone have created three new wild colonies........if they didnt get caught.

I guess a roof space is going to be somewhat warmer than a damp dead tree or corner of a shed.

Why do some colonies in hives die off for no apparent reason....
They seem to manage OK in damp trees before beekeepers came along!

There is always a reason you just might not see it. Nosema is not visible but can stealthily be the end of colonies. If you have a dead out always try and find the cause.

They seem to manage OK in damp trees before beekeepers came along!

There is always a reason you just might not see it. Nosema is not visible but can stealthily be the end of colonies. If you have a dead out always try and find the cause.

More likely that they found good warm trees.

Dishmop: "Every swarm that doesnt get caught and rehoused, creates a new wild colony."

In pre varroa days it was estimated that in the northern hemisphere only 25% of prime swarms that became feral survived their first winter. I wonder what the survival rate for feral swarms is nowadays with Varroa, DWV, Nosema ceranea and Neonics and lack of forage

Watched one of the many progs on TV about the Americans and how they take the bees to the almond crop.

In one prog there was a bit about swarming whilst they were on the fields..

You'd think by now that the almond crop owners would have enough bees of their own..

Dishmop: "Every swarm that doesnt get caught and rehoused, creates a new wild colony."

In pre varroa days it was estimated that in the northern hemisphere only 25% of prime swarms that became feral survived their first winter. I wonder what the survival rate for feral swarms is nowadays with Varroa, DWV, Nosema ceranea and Neonics and lack of forage

We will probably never know.

I am another 'non-treater' and also run solid floors. (tin hat at the ready :) ) I have had very small colonies survive the winter, and come out healthy and raring to go in the spring - why shoudln't they be able to do this in the wild in a suitable tree nest?

It is very difficult to guage how many feral swarms exist - if they are in thier prefered location several metres up from the ground - how many people would ever notice them? Tom Seely's initial research into bee nests was severly affected by the fact that all reported bee nests were less than 2 meters off th eground because he was relying on reported sightings .

Latest posts

Back