Why would the bees kill their larvae?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Number of Hives
I'm in northern California, USA let's start there. We have a dearth of pollen flowing right now, and this is a package of bees I'm concerned about, I purchased them in early April of this year. It's #3 of three hives, #1 is a year old, #2 is a captured swarm of a month ago. (A little history)
I have a frame feeder in the hive I think should be removed because they're not really taking it any longer and they have some honey stores although I haven't added a super on there yet, they didn't have enough framed filled.

There is no noticeable pathogen or parasite in the hive, and I've spotted the queen recently upon my last inspection 2 weeks ago.

The larvae are still alive, not eaten. And this hive is generally calm. I sit out here daily and study them because I find it calming.

I'm considering another inspection Maybe tomorrow just to check things out, I've tried not bothering them too much, but when I look in there, all seems good, brood pattern, nectar, honey, and pupa/larva stages.

Anyone have any ideas? I'm not overly concerned, just curious.
Side note, I think packages of bees are a really cruel way to buy bees. Just saying.

As Erichalfbee DWV due to varroa. In a pollen dearth or weak hive if the bees were eating the larvae, you wouldn't see eggs and the larvae inside the cells would be half munched.

Ghe hive is a package of bees I installed last month from a reputable company. I haven't treated them as yet, because being a new package and pretty weak just out of the gate I need them to get stronger. I do have an observation board and continuously check and I have never once seen a mite. There aren't any mites on the culled larvae either. It's strange

A package gives you the ideal opportunity to vape just the once. You won’t see mites on culled larvae. YOU have to open the cells yourself. There’s no reason for a package to be weak. After all swarms aren’t are they?
Your supplier, I’m afraid, doesn’t sound as reputable as you describe.

The bees are Saskatraz breed. Olivarez Honeybees was the seller. They claim to breed varroa resistant strains. If it is varroa, when would I vape them? Can I do that now? I caught a swarm shortly after installing this package, and theyre doing phenomenal. They didn't start with any honey frames either, but I did give the package bees a honey frame to start.

I do have an observation board and continuously check and I have never once seen a mite.
probably because they're stuck fast to the bees. Inspection boards are notoriously unreliable as a mite load indicator

They claim to breed varroa resistant
There is no doubt that some colonies are hygienic. The bees know cells are infected and uncap them to drag the larva out. BUT the infestation in your bees must be severe for the adults to be showing deformed wings and for the colony to be poor. They are not thriving because they are sick.
A package purchased nearly two months ago should easily have filled and drawn a brood box.

I think the hive is queen-less. I pulled several larvae myself, some drone, and still, no sign of varroa. There are small wings starting to develop on the larvae. None of the bees in the hive have deformed wings. I went in the hive again this afternoon and did a thorough inspection and the only thing I did find, was a moth on an empty frame. I'm not denying what you guys are saying about the varroa, I'm just reporting what I see. There are a lot of drones, and 5 small qc's in 2 clusters on the frame with very little honey, and no eggs. There aren't even 2 full frames of comb in the hive.
I contacted the seller and they're going to replace the queen and ship her out on Thursday. I really do appreciate all of your help advice, and Comments! Thank you for always being there with knowledge and support 😊

Attachments

• 20240528_143132.jpg
    20240528_143132.jpg
    713.6 KB · Views: 1
I'm in northern California, USA let'
Anyone have any ideas? I'm not overly concerned, just curious.
Side note, I think packages of bees are a really cruel way to buy bees. Just saying.

If the bees do not get enough pollen/ protein they start to eate larvae. They make larva juice and they try to save part of larvae. Bees do not tear capped brood to eate them.

This is common in Finland in spring, when weathers are cold or rainy and they cannot fly to the willows.

When I started to feed pollen patty to hives, they did not destroyed larvae.

Last edited:
Ghe hive is a package of bees I installed last month from a reputable company. I haven't treated them as yet, because being a new package and pretty weak just out of the gate I need them to get stronger. I do have an observation board and continuously check and I have never once seen a mite. There aren't any mites on the culled larvae either. It's strange
Our club here recomends treating all new packages about a week after installation.

Latest posts

Back