Why I am here

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The general attitude is that Langstroth and Dadant created the perfect hive and therefor there is no need to have anything else. So I feel that in the US the knowledge one can gain on beecraft is sorta close minded.

There isn't really any need for anything else. In the UK they've got so many different types to confuse new beekeepers with no real gain.

Then they spend the rest of their lives arguing about them and ignoring the fact they're supposed to be beekeepers - not hivekeepers.

Hi Brade,

Don't worry about the tea that's you boys dumped in the harbour, we all drink Coffee or beer now any how :cheers2:

What a mixed up bunch we are here in the UK, ask one question and you will get many many different answers all claiming to be the correct way of doing things.

We are multi cultured here, not only in nationality's but also in Bee hives. Unlike the USA, home produced Honey is a luxury item here. We don't have to compete with the supermarkets as they sell a generic product which most honey lovers except as a lesser product than we produce straight from the hive.

Have fun on the forum, don't take it to heart when some of them are blunt, they don't mean to be, or at least i don't. I am sure you will fit in fine and you will learn how bees are kept in Scotland/England/Irland/Wales. Watch out for the welsh they some times wonder off topic and start talking about sheep.
:rofl:

Hi Brad.Welcome to the forum. We welsh beekeepers do sometimes wander off-topic...its because we have naturally inquistive minds.Not quite as one-tracked as our english neighbours:) And sheep honey tastes wonderful...

they seem to be keeping bees that have been bred for expansion so the standard national is too small....

Simmons was arguing before the National Standard was set that it was too small. Perhaps it's not the colony that is too big, perhaps the box has always been too small. (I know, I know lots of people have been quite successfully keeping bees in them for 100+ years, I'm merely referring to the fact that this argument has been raging since the day they tried to decide upon a sandard design, so this argument continues to rage more than a century later.

Adam

Rather than reinvent the wheel with deep and a half LS boxes why not just go down the simple route (at least to start with) - just cost you frames and foundation - use 2 LS medium (dadant supers) to give you room for dadant/LS jumbo brood frames? If you get on with them then you can progress to sourcing some proper JLS/dadant boxes.

How de doo de!

BEER is that mineral water?

Cornwall is a Dutchy, mostly cut off and remote from the remaining UK mainland separated by the mighty Tamar river!
For the record some say the Welsh are Irish who could not swim!

Enjoy this forum, would be nice to see some more foreigners on here!

Latest posts

Back