Why are my bees on outside of hive

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nealeholl

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I'm in my second year of beekeeping, and have two colonies. Both of them have a thick "mat" of bees hanging on the outside of the hive - it's been like that for some days. They did it a bit last year, particularly early evening, but they're there all day now. I'm on National Hives, and although I already had one honey super on each, they did look quite crowded. So yesterday I added a second honey super AND a brood super to give them a brood and a half. I had some drawn-out frames which I used up top. For the extra brood space I used new foundation as I was worried about introducing disease.

There are just as many bees on the outside as there were 24 hours ago. THe queens were new last year.

Are they just trying to keep cool??

Probably yes.

Some strains are more prone to "beard" outside than others.

Are they fanning?

PH

If fanning means what it sounds like, no. They seem to either be still or pottering about. THere are even several with pollen hanging around. Originally I thought it might just be a traffic jam waiting to get inside!

Or quite likely to depart shortly.

Have you checked the frames for swarm cells?

Regards, RAB

There are no entrance blocks - the full entrance is only about 3"-4" inches wide though.

Not sure what a OMF floor is?? Mine is a perforated metal thingy.

Omf

Hi
OMF Open Mesh Floor which it sounds like you already have
I had a group clustered on landind board early this morning had done a full survey yesterday plenty of space, they soon disapated when they warmed up
I put it down to being early starters was very misty this morning so may have been same affect as water spray as they looked a little damp

Bees seem to have gone back in! Hopefully extra space is what they were after - and I was just being impatient!

There are no entrance blocks - the full entrance is only about 3"-4" inches wide though.

Not sure what a OMF floor is?? Mine is a perforated metal thingy.

if it is a standard national brood box and omf floor then the entrnace block should be removealble. if it was a Thornes standard hive OMF floor the entrance bar is for transport held in with a single nail ( the block is also upside down) which you should have removed before use

post us a photo

Back