White crusty skin on surface of set honey

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I have a 15 lb tub of hard set honey on top of which I placed some cling film back in July. I am going to use it to make soft set honey and have placed it in my warming cabinet. There is a white crusty skin on the surface of the set honey, I have not seen as much as this previously...what is it and why is there quite a lot? I have scrapped it off rather than stiring it in. A lot of it will be from rape.

Froth/air bubbles it’s normal.

Frosting
Caused by all the air bubbles that rise to the top after you put it in the bucket
Scrape it off and eat it

Am guessing scum sounds less appealing;)

Is his like the 'scum' on the top of a pot of cream that your dad used to say wasn't good for you?

Doing the same at the moment. Tastes OK. Beekeepers perk.

I’ve seen this stuff jarred and sold at a premium as “Beekeeper’s Honey”
Best not labelled Beekeeper’s Scum eh?

My beekeepers honey is the best bit of sweet chestnut cut comb, you lot can keep the froth!!

Honey shrinkens in cold and draws air between glucose crystals. It is typical to hard honey.

My beekeepers honey is the best bit of sweet chestnut cut comb, you lot can keep the froth!!

:)

I can't be just me who ends up with jars in the cupboard with an H on the lid for home use containing the dregs of a bucket that you can't really sell.

After warming for a few days the scum ends up on the top and is filtered off in the sieve. Avoid waste. Scrape it into a jar and put an H on the top.

Attachments

• IMGP20191021-01-small.jpg
    IMGP20191021-01-small.jpg
    121.1 KB · Views: 44

Latest posts

Back