Which way up should I put the wired foundation in the frame?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

margob99

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I know this sounds like a really daft question, but I'm making up frames, haven't done it in a long while and am pondering which way up the wired foundation should go? Should I have the 3 loops up the top, or the 2 loops? I am pondering this seemingly trivial question, because I seem to recall someone telling me the foundation is pressed so that the honeycomb shapes angle slightly up .... and i cant remember which way!

3 loops at top. They are also longer so that they can go behind (bent at 90 degrees) the wedge

Good-oh! It's as I thought, but never hurts to check with the experts.

:thanks:

If your gimp pins are to long you can easily snip them shorter with wire cutters or pliers. Then nail at a right angle through the wedge instead of at an 45 degree angle. It's easier.

If your gimp pins are to long-

If your pins are two long, the better idea is to get some of a suitable length! Pinning slightly on the tosh will make the wedges more secure. Shortening is not a real option if one uses a brad nailer with a magazine.

... I am pondering this seemingly trivial question, because I seem to recall someone telling me the foundation is pressed so that the honeycomb shapes angle slightly up .... and i cant remember which way!

Not quite true.
The foundation itself isn't "slightly angled", but the bees do indeed build cells that are "slightly angled" up, in order to better retain runny nectar, brood, and brood food.

Getting the foundation a quarter turn wrong, is said (by some, not all) to upset the bees, but that 'mistake' isn't possible until you start cutting up foundation to make starter strips and such.

Latest posts

Back