Removing cappped honey frame by frame?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
I have a couple of hives which are getting towards 2 full supers. I am prepared to put additional supers on however I am now required to be abroad with work for 3 to 4 weeks.
My partner is small and cannot lift a full super.
While I am away is there any downside to her removing capped honey frames and taking them home and leaving the two supers with whatever is uncapped plus new frames with foundation.
This way she can lift the lighter supers to inspect the brood box?

the next question is can she store the capped honey and wait for my return to extract, or should she extract as soon as possible after removing from the hive.
If she can store ate there any tips on what is best, for example an plastic lidded storage bin?
Thanks

Local lady 5 foot 0 tall does as you propose: remove full combs one by one to empty super.

You can store sealed with clingfilm in dry room for weeks.

I also remove frame by frame, straight into plastic boxes with tight lids, as I cannot lift a full super, or risk loose bees in my van as I have severe local reaction to stings 🙈.
Works absolutely fine for me. If there is a flow on I will rearrange frames so nearly ready ones are in top super and replace removed frames with drawn or foundation in lower super.

Latest posts

Back