Which type of honey extractor???

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Never been on a bus when a load of schoolkids going home get on? You only need to keep your ears open for a masterclass in reproduction and variations on the theme.

not forgetting the girls at the back of the bus who liked to show the driver in the truck behind what big girls they were....

I've been watching with interest myself , as I have been giving most frames back to nucs this year to build up my hives , so have been crushing and straining with not many frame spare.

You could scrape and drain.. A nice warm kitchen helps..

I can feel a design for an uncapped frame holding rack with drip collector coming on. 'Er indoors might want to know why I want to buy an Argon arc welder and a stock of stainless steel though.

Old stainless steel kitchen sink unit?

Back to the original question again. A group of ten of us have got together and bought a load of gear. We are all fairly local, a bit of organisation and as few rules as possible and it works really well and costs us a tenth of the price! Saves waiting for the bka one as well!
Depends if you have any others in your area that also need a new extractor!
E

I used a four frame manual last year but never again to much hard work bought a motor conversion this year and a tange cage for brood frames best thing ever just set it going while uncapping the next lot. As for an uncapping tray the 84 litre really useful box is ideal deep enough to hold plenty of capping's and wide enough to hold frames on the lugs while waiting to go in the extractor. I put a straining cloth in the bottom and when finished hang over the box to let any honey run out of the capping's.

Which Extractor

I have a small, 4 frame, radial SAF extractor which I bought new for £60, about 5 years ago and it's all you'll need with just 3 hives. Problem with hiring from the local BKA is that everyone wants them at the same time. I would advise buying a Nisala they have a good reputation and only around £100 from ebay UK. They are quite a bit cheaper if bought from Germany.

I would recommend without question the extractors sold by agrinova. Absolutely excellent quality.

I would recommend without question the extractors sold by agrinova. Absolutely excellent quality.

Agree with you on the general quality of the Giordan extractor. One criticism though, is the drill drive mechanism. In my opinion it is the weak point of the system, comprising of a right hand thread 'dog tooth' pulley driven directly off the drill output shaft,(which is fine), but held in place during reverse direction by a LEFT hand thread bolt, which seems to be made from some quite soft alloy. This only reached into the main shaft by about 4 to 5 mm (no where near enough) and due to it's soft material 'stripped' at the first use!
I 'redesigned' this and it works great now. I phoned Agrinova and spoke to Clive (I think was his name), to ask them if they stocked spare bolts, and he said, (rather sarcastically I thought) that he would 'nip down to the local hardware shop when he had time and post one on to me. Well nothing arrived. (Looks like your local DIY shop doesn't stock 5mm LEFT HAND THREAED bolts either heh 'Clive'.) You need to understand the product you sell, not just how to sell them in my opinion.
So the upshot is, Giordan make a good extractor, especially when modified, but the after sales from Agrinova won't help you!
Hope that helps would be buyers.

Agree with you on the general quality of the Giordan extractor. One criticism though, is the drill drive mechanism. In my opinion it is the weak point of the system, comprising of a right hand thread 'dog tooth' pulley driven directly off the drill output shaft,(which is fine), but held in place during reverse direction by a LEFT hand thread bolt, which seems to be made from some quite soft alloy. This only reached into the main shaft by about 4 to 5 mm (no where near enough) and due to it's soft material 'stripped' at the first use!
I 'redesigned' this and it works great now. I phoned Agrinova and spoke to Clive (I think was his name), to ask them if they stocked spare bolts, and he said, (rather sarcastically I thought) that he would 'nip down to the local hardware shop when he had time and post one on to me. Well nothing arrived. (Looks like your local DIY shop doesn't stock 5mm LEFT HAND THREAED bolts either heh 'Clive'.) You need to understand the product you sell, not just how to sell them in my opinion.
So the upshot is, Giordan make a good extractor, especially when modified, but the after sales from Agrinova won't help you!
Hope that helps would be buyers.

I looked at the drill model and thought it a bit heath robinson but its position is midway between manual and full on motorised.

I have the 8 frame manual and its nothing short of first class, having used a fair few different models over the years. Its also all metal unlike some of its competitors that have incorporated plastic.

I looked at the drill model and thought it a bit heath robinson but its position is midway between manual and full on motorised.

I have the 8 frame manual and its nothing short of first class, having used a fair few different models over the years. Its also all metal unlike some of its competitors that have incorporated plastic.

Got to agree with you. The extractor is excellent, it's just the drill drive that needs sorting. Best I've seen for the price. Just would have been better with some customer service. Still I suppose there would be a way of getting Giordan extractors from more than one source.

Used agri nova supplied drill driven extractor for last 4-5 years, with no problem whatsoever. When I bought it, it was so much cheaper than equivalents. I found the service from Clive to be excellent.

I have just bought one of these waben extractors. It took a month to arrive. The seller told me posting problems. I personally think it had to come from China first. I have just put it together and the quality is decent although one of the threads on the leg has got some weld on it stopping the thread from starting, good job I have access to a tap set for the thread. The drum is a good size at 19 and a 1/4 inch across or 490mm. It will fit 4 standard national brood frames and with some careful loading you can get 8 national supers in. I have not used it in anger yet though. It has a cone shaped floor to allow the honey to flow to the outer edge which is good. I have some frames waiting for extraction so I will have to wait and see how it performs.

That's not a bad price and the engineering is not bad either. I'm quite happy with the one I have made in Wales although I could do with an electric motor.

Agree that Giordan make good extractors. Just said the drill drive could be better designed in my case. As for Clive, he was very nice when he sold and delivered the extractor, just lacking in MY opinion having experienced the 'after service'. Perhaps he had a bad day?

Used agri nova supplied drill driven extractor for last 4-5 years, with no problem whatsoever. When I bought it, it was so much cheaper than equivalents. I found the service from Clive to be excellent.

Not had a need for after sales service, but I bought the same model as Drex at the same time and have found it a godsend. Should also add it comes with two attachments which allow for large size frames and presumably Manleys to be spun tangentially, though I've always done my Manleys radially.

Good piece of kit, highly recommended.

Ordinarily in a tangential the comb rests on the 'screens', which therefore support it.

With Manleys, the sidebars support the frame with the comb not touching the screens. Therefore you are much more dependant on the strength of the comb!

Or the due care of the operator, even with an electric drill attached...

Extracting from frames? Thats old hat isnt it? Things have moved on and gone full circle. You could throw your frames away and go crush and strain with a press. Ferrari 5.5 litre works a treat.

Extracting from frames? Thats old hat isnt it? Things have moved on and gone full circle. You could throw your frames away and go crush and strain with a press. Ferrari 5.5 litre works a treat.

Honestly?

Why is it that a few beekeepers will insist on pushing the 'crush and strain' method.

I'm not saying you shouldn't use it yourself but it doesn't take a mathematics genius to work out the amount of EXTRA work the bees have to do again to build all the lovely wax comb when you have taken it all away.

Some people will still prefer this method or cut comb but imo the majority of beekeepers will want to extra the honey from the comb and re-use it again next season or multiple times in a season!

Latest posts

Back