Which sublimator/vapouriser?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I insert a stainless steel thin plate, underneath the OMF, with enough space for the varrox to slide in. I use 3g of OA tablets, pressed into the bowl, I then seal up the entrance, and rear gaps.
and then turn on.

I've been using the Varrox for over 7 years and nary a problem, despite the doom-mongers. Steel sheet in the varroa tray slot, varrox on it under the OMF, seal entrance and rear where the varrox is poking out, switch on and retire to avoid fumigating self. Follow instructions as removing too early may burn fingers. Bucket of water or rub in dew on grass. Done and dusted. Simple but truly effective. Next hive please.

I think it was EricA that has made a tray to fit under her poly hives. I have Paynes Polys and I think the way to go with those is to make a tray that goes into the slot that is as standard on the hives for the inspection board but the middle section of it needs to be dropped down for two reasons. Firstly, there would not be room for the sublimation device (whatever you use) to go under the floor and secondly, it needs a bit of space between the mesh floor and the heat of the sublimator or it is going to damage the coating on the mesh - and I seem to remember that it was so hot that it even burnt the bottom of the frames and melted a bit of comb.

If I understand you correctly you are just placing the vaporizer under an open mesh floor. Or have I misunderstood and you have a board that slides in to help seal when vaporizing?
Yep, just sat on the floor, but I mask up with gaff tape.

Yep, just sat on the floor, but I mask up with gaff tape.

Self I assume? Your boxes must be in a poor state if you need to seal the gaps between the boxes with tape. Either that or your bees don't understand propolising?:banghead::banghead:

Just revisited this thread - forgotten all about it TBH and hardly read any of it!! Thanks everybody for the useful information which has helped me decide the way forward. My underfloor entrance floors have plenty of clearance between mesh floor and inspection tray so no problem there - stainless steel plate and a chink of foam to close the gap and job done. And yes, as Pargyle - not H&S namby pamby over reaction here it is nasty stuff and anybody who doesn't take care is a fool. I shall take a tip from my fire fighting school days and stuff the end of my beard into my mouth whilst using :D

And yes, as Pargyle - not H&S namby pamby over reaction here it is nasty stuff and anybody who doesn't take care is a fool

Yes yes.....it's not as if you're sublimating in a bee shed is it.
I did mine last winter and apart from the odd lick of vapour you wouldn't know anything was going on.

Just revisited this thread - forgotten all about it TBH and hardly read any of it!! Thanks everybody for the useful information which has helped me decide the way forward. My underfloor entrance floors have plenty of clearance between mesh floor and inspection tray so no problem there - stainless steel plate and a chink of foam to close the gap and job done. And yes, as Pargyle - not H&S namby pamby over reaction here it is nasty stuff and anybody who doesn't take care is a fool. I shall take a tip from my fire fighting school days and stuff the end of my beard into my mouth whilst using :D

Ditto.

Underfloor entrances also so slot in an inspection board then the vaporiser goes in the entrance with foam to seal. Vapours then go directly into the hive and not through the omf. Made three vaporisers for less than £30 so no waiting between hives. I wear a sundstrom p3 mask that I use at work because you only get one set of lungs so why take any risk when you can take none. (Won't work properly with JBM's beard though :biggrinjester:

Last edited:
Re-crystalization

As I have 9mm bottom space on my OMF. I also came up with the idea of placing the vaporizer underneath the mesh. Whilst doing a bit of digging I came across this: (tried to hyperlink but haven't made enough posts to do so.)
You should be able to find it on youtube by pasting K9qyMVr923k
In it he states that when placed below the floor the oxalic acid gas, recrystallized on the mesh rather than filling the brood box. Has anyone encountered this problem?

Very interested in the apparently sudden upsurge in interest of these, I've not been on here that much the past year or two but I recall a fair amount of opposition to them previously which seems to have been forgotten. Ever the sheep I'm getting interested!

Had a look on eBay at some and was alarmed to read :

During processing, the bees must comply with safety requirementsin terms of eye protection and breathing of vapors of oxalic acid.

Not THATS H&S gone mad and will require a lot of training.

As I have 9mm bottom space on my OMF. I also came up with the idea of placing the vaporizer underneath the mesh. Whilst doing a bit of digging I came across this: (tried to hyperlink but haven't made enough posts to do so.)
In it he states that when placed below the floor the oxalic acid gas, recrystallized on the mesh rather than filling the brood box. Has anyone encountered this problem?

Two points really.
1) If you have standard mesh floors, the acid vapour and the crystals that do condense on the mesh will eventually eat away the zinc coating. It will rust and consequently, in time, you will end up with a hole in the mesh.
So I suggest you change the standard mesh for stainless steel. google 'The Mesh Company' and search for Varroa mesh.
2) In order to prevent a significant amount of condensation on the mesh floor, simply add 15 to 20 seconds onto the 'heating' time of the process suggested in the instructions. This will add enough under heating to make the mesh hot enough to keep the Oxalic in vapour state long enough to be successful. (This is a rough figure depending on how close you have the 'spoon' to the under side of the mesh. Just experiment with your hives.)
This is how I do it and it works for me. Hope this helps.
Of course this is 'alleged' method as it is not a recognised treatment and is frowned upon by the bee inspectors and such. Ah Hem! :rolleyes::)

Last edited:

hence why I use 3g to take account of some crystalising uner the OMF, and replaced with stainless mesh....but this year I checked, and there was none under the OMF, so depends on the distance....and time applied....(and power of battery!) check the CCA of the battery....

sublimox

Best piece of kit I've got im on my fourth season with it . combined with small suitcase generator I can treat an apiary of 20 hives in less than 25 minutes

Could you use one of those things that starts your car if you have a flat battery? Plugs into the cigarette lighter!
E

Back