which poly

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, not in that meaning but English men have picked hundreds of wifes from Finland.

So, are you saying that Finwomen prefer Englishmen to Finmen, Finman?

Last edited:
Paradise Honey sells sell its products at least top 15 country. Russian is a big market. ...

Do they really sell their not-quite standard "British Standard National" hives to any other country than the UK?

// I'm sure they sell other products widely - but not the specific one that was being discussed!

Do they really sell their not-quite standard "British Standard National" hives to any other country than the UK?

// I'm sure they sell other products widely - but not the specific one that was being discussed!

Ah, I've gone off at something of a tangent here -at the mention of 'beebox hives' which is also the name of their truly interlocking langstroths, so, my first post wasn't relevant to this actual thread.

If I remember right, the owner of PH said that some Europen standard is quite near british national. But it does not help; box mould and frames are different.
Russian Langstroth is different size than American. Not much but 2 cm.

But are they? It's interesting that the videos of Paradise Honey's extraction line(downloadable from their website) don't show them using the 'interlocking' boxes, just their other type with the flat surfaces. You'd think that such videos would be an ideal opportunity to showcase their state of the art boxes.

Likewise, the Finnish 'honey paw' catalogue which Finnman linked the other day dismisses the idea of interlocking boxes in a very robust condemnation of them:

So, what's good for one Finn may not be the best thing for another (or the rest of us).

I hadn't realised the MB ones had the interlocking lip. I wonder how much more expensive it would be to import the ones without from Finland.
Just so I'm clear about future purchases, which are the hives without the interlocking surfaces? I imagine they are bee graveyards.

Last edited:
I hadn't realised the MB ones had the interlocking lip. I wonder how much more expensive it would be to import the ones without from Finland.
Just so I'm clear about future purchases, which are the hives without the interlocking surfaces? I imagine they are bee graveyards.

Hi Ely, I don't think the BS versions of the beebox do have an interlocking lip -I was 'one tracking' down the langstroth road as they're the ones I automatically associate with the name 'beebox'. My mistake.

I seem to recall PBee (I think) discussing bringing in their other hives for his own use, but not BS.

Hi Ely, I don't think the BS versions of the beebox do have an interlocking lip -I was 'one tracking' down the langstroth road as they're the ones I automatically associate with the name 'beebox'. My mistake.

I seem to recall PBee (I think) discussing bringing in their other hives for his own use, but not BS.

Ok cheers. I'm about to start a radiography degree so will be on a 3-4 year hiatus from beekeeping. After that I might decide to go Langstroth all medium. Is the 'honey series' a lipless version of langstroth? Actually, I would welcome any opinion on whether people think all medium lanstroth or all british national boxes are better suited to all one size box/frame beekeeping.

Last edited:
Ok cheers. I'm about to start a radiography degree so will be on a 3-4 year hiatus from beekeeping. After that I might decide to go Langstroth all medium. Is the 'honey series' a lipless version of langstroth? Actually, I would welcome any opinion on whether people think all medium lanstroth or all british national boxes are better suited to all one size box/frame beekeeping.

I understand a Lang medium with honey weighs about 30-35kgs so you're going to grow muscles if you have not got em. Or a bad back. I looked and decided not to.. my back could cope on a good day...

Weight is THE issue imo.

A langstroth medium isn't that much bigger than a national (remember 10 frames only).

it's jumbos or dadants you don't want to be hefting about.

I understand a Lang medium with honey weighs about 30-35kgs so you're going to grow muscles if you have not got em. Or a bad back. I looked and decided not to.. my back could cope on a good day...

Weight is THE issue imo.

No, it does not

Langstroth medium has 16 kg honey full, and it depends what chells weigh.
Poly medium box weighs propably 700 g.

Weight is THE issue imo.

You probably got the medium box mixed up with the jumbo box. You're right, you'd get a bad back using all that size box! Some do though, their other hobby must involve ripping cars to shreds and lifting concrete balls on top of pillars. The terminology seems a little confusing on British sites for Langstroth brood boxes. Apparently when buying foundation for mediums from fornes etc you should buy dadant. Seems silly

Last edited:
........ Is the 'honey series' a lipless version of langstroth? Actually, I would welcome any opinion on whether people think all medium lanstroth or all british national boxes are better suited to all one size box/frame beekeeping.

The honey series is the 'flat topped' version and includes Langstroth, Dadant blatt, Modified Dadant and possibly other European formats but not BS. They probably devised the Beebox series so that it's incompatible with other manufacturers products making it difficult to change or mix equipment.
There seems to be a trend towards OSB using Langstroth medium/Farrar or 1/2 Dadant blatt. Honey paw do Langstroth medium and are a much better company to deal with than Paradise Honey. Floors, roofs and feeders are also better designed and more substantial than PH.

The honey series is the 'flat topped' version and includes Langstroth, Dadant blatt, Modified Dadant and possibly other European formats but not BS. They probably devised the Beebox series so that it's incompatible with other manufacturers products making it difficult to change or mix equipment.
There seems to be a trend towards OSB using Langstroth medium/Farrar or 1/2 Dadant blatt. Honey paw do Langstroth medium and are a much better company to deal with than Paradise Honey. Floors, roofs and feeders are also better designed and more substantial than PH.

Thanks for the info. I'll have a look at them. And to think before I kept bees I just thought a hive was a hive :)

@ Ely
Poly Langs from P@ynes - the brood box takes Lang frames; supers take Modified Dadant shallow frames.
Wooden Langs from most suppliers - brood box takes Lang frames; supers take Lang shallow frames, which are shallower than MD super frames.
Jumbo Langs brood boxes, both poly and wood, take MD deep frames.

You might like to read this thread too http://www.beekeepingforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1591

Ah thanks. Interesting thread, especially about checkerboarding, something I haven't done because of my larger brood boxes. What do you reckon to the quality of p aynes langstroth?

Mine didn't come from P@ynes but they're the same Sw1enty boxes. They're sturdy enough, one-piece moulded. I use metal roofs, not sure if P@ynes sells them.

I pretty sure that ITLD uses the same make of hives - check his forum albums and his overwintering reports.

We use USA standars in Finland. Langstroth has 25 kg honey in frames (10 frames)
Medium has 15-16 kg. Paradise H. sells many national standards to different countries.
It is not nice to get wrong hive parts and then again to drive 200 km to change them.

Langstroth box may weigh 10 kg if it is thick wood or ply. Even ply can soak 30% water inside.

Langstroth poly is 1,0 kg.

I had an insulated wooden box which was very nicely made. Out and inner board were wooden panel. Full of honey weigh was 52 kilos.

In eastern Europe they use very heavy hives that they are not stealed.

Last edited:
'The terminology seems a little confusing on British sites for Langstroth brood boxes. Apparently when buying foundation for mediums from fornes etc you should buy dadant. Seems silly"

Not really - Dadant supers equal LS mediums. LS supers are very shallow hence why most use mediums as supers.

Dadant is a sensible large format system with appropriate sized supers to give a brood box = 2x super configuration (makes it easy to scrape together spare brood boxes as needed).

LS was a different format with just shallower boxes on same footprint (assuming 10 frame boxes).

It's only when you decide to integrate the 2 formats into one (ie LS) that it gets a little confusing ie LS jumbo (D-BB), LS-BB, LS-MED (D-S) and LS-S.s

Latest posts

Back