Which hive if you started from scratch?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which hive size if you started again?

• Wood National

Votes: 23 17.7%
  • Wood 14 x 12

Votes: 35 26.9%
  • Wood Langstroth

Votes: 11 8.5%
  • Poly National

Votes: 12 9.2%
  • Poly Langstroth

Votes: 32 24.6%
  • Other

Votes: 17 13.1%

• Total voters
It is bloody expensive. £50,000 and upwards for a shed on the beach. It's all you
rich middle/upper class Londoners invading!

Going back up north soon where they can't stick the cold. Winter is coming

2vwbcp5.jpg

Last edited:
Commercial 16x10. No fiddling with two boxes, fewer frames to make up, fewer swarm cells per box. Possibly 14x12 if I was starting again but be worried about sagging (I'll save JBM's typing "aren't we all")...

The warmth up north is in the people :;
VM

Definately. Huge difference between Yorkshire and Norfolk I've noticed. Met some lovely people here though. The pubs are empty round here, go back to Sheffield and it's like going back to the land of the living. I do do like it in the country next to the broads though

Starting again and knowing what I do, I would like to use Poly Langstroths, but realise that there are a number of problems to contend with which are normally solved in a scaled up bee farming environment.

In low numbers frame prices in the UK are disproportionate I believe; solved by importing in large quantities.

Finding suppliers that can provide boxes next week is often a problem. Larger orders can have a significant lead time to delivery.

So, I would have to start with 14x12 boxes again.

I would have gone for a 14/12 poly national had the option been there, but noted the wood option so not quite accurate.

I went poly langstroth with brood and supers the same size. Easy frame making

As it happens, I am starting out again keeping bees.

When I was in Essex, I used to house my bees in "commercial hives". These have the same outside dimensions as a "national", but because they don't have the silly long frame lugs, they have more brood area. Also, floors, roofs, crown boards and excluders are the same size as nationals, hence interchangeable.

As I am now in a different area, and the hives in use around Salisbury area seem to be 12 X 14, Nationals or Langstroth. I'm probably going to go with Langstroth, possibly Langstroth Jumbo, and as I make my own kit, they will be in wood.

There are also Warré hives in the area, but then I guess your hive choice will be influenced by your reason for keeping bees again.

If I could afford conventional hives and had three sheds, I would go Langstroth poly. But I don't have a spare £3k.

I must admit, do find the concept behind the Warre Hive an interesting one, and yes, I wouldn't mind having a go with one and a small colony of bees, as a very interesting experiment. The only thing that would make me a bit cautious about a Warre compared to say a Langstroth, is I know what to do with a conventional frame hive, and I'd be a bit lost with a top bar.

A warre hive is a bit different to a top bar hive.

A warre hive is a bit different to a top bar hive.

A Warré is a top bar hive, but a vertical top bar hive rather than a horizontal one.

Night Owl, PM me if you'd like to.

Latest posts

Back