Where is the Queen?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buckwyns

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Quite a few, wife says too many!!
On 9th June, during an inspection, I found a few swarm cells that were capped but as eggs were also found, I removed the qc's to give me a couple of days grace to get new equipment. A week later, I had an angry hive, no eggs and I couldn't find the queen either so I put in a test frame of eggs. Today, still no eggs and they have not made new queen cells from the test frame.

I don't know what to do next, any advice please.

be patient it can take up to a month for a queen to start laying

Had 2 similar hives this year, angry as hell, could'nt find queen but just left alone and sure enough she started laying after about 5 weeks, bees nice as pie now. Be patient

Had 2 similar hives this year, angry as hell, could'nt find queen but just left alone and sure enough she started laying after about 5 weeks, bees nice as pie now. Be patient
I have one hive that the queen was laying profusely, but now isnt laying and I cant find the queen, the last brood hatched 2 weeks ago so that means I guess theres been nothing for 5 weeks now, no queen cells at all so I'm at a loss too.....

Shabro how's your weather? Could she be taking a break because of low temps/a lack of forage?

Shabro,

I suggest you find a frame of eggs and larvae from another hive or cadge one from somewhere else and bung it in the hive you are concerned about. That will give the workers something with which to create a QC hopefully and then they will be off again.

Shabro,

I suggest you find a frame of eggs and larvae from another hive or cadge one from somewhere else and bung it in the hive you are concerned about. That will give the workers something with which to create a QC hopefully and then they will be off again.
I would if I could but the other 3 hives I have all ended up with VQs and Ive just replaced them with mated queens, looks like I will have to do the same with this one. I did originally think she was a nosemic queen tbh but after I had them tested it came back negative.

Swarm cells?

I have never heard of Swarm cells, can you attach a picture or describe them please?:bigear:

EM1

swarm cells are queen cells which have been made in response to the bees urge to swarm. So basicly they are making a new queen but will oftern make lots of them at the same time. There are ways in which you can tell if its a swarm cell as uposed to a supersedure cell or emergancy cell. All three of which make new queens but for differnt reasons.

The welsh beekeepers accocation has a great booklet on this subject do a google search for 'there are queen cells in my hive what do i do'? this should bring it up.

Capped or sealed Queen cells (swarm cells) are generally a sign that your hive has already swarmed. In fact this year I have had hives swarm before a queencell is capped (especially if queencells have been removed at a previous inspection to try and delay swarming!).

By removing capped queencells without first checking a queen is still present in a hive you will prolong the period of queenlessness as, so long as there are still eggs or young larva, the bees will build new queencells.

Assuming your hive swarmed on or just before 9th June, it takes 23days for a queen to hatch from when the egg is laid and then you have to allow time for the Queen to take mating flights and then to start laying!

So I personally would say that you are looking at the first couple of weeks of July before you have to start worrying. Also if you have tried a test frame and no queencells were made then there is a Queen in the hive. Just be patient and wait.

I would if I could but the other 3 hives I have all ended up with VQs and Ive just replaced them with mated queens, looks like I will have to do the same with this one. I did originally think she was a nosemic queen tbh but after I had them tested it came back negative.

Why would you replace Virgin Queens with mated queens instead of allowing the virgins to get mated?

Why would you replace Virgin Queens with mated queens instead of allowing the virgins to get mated?
Two VQ's vanished into thin air.... One became a DLQ.....
Don't worry I havent been going this alone and have had an experienced Beek help me along the way. If I hadnt of needed to have done it, I wouldnt.
I think I'm just unlucky this year.

Two VQ's vanished into thin air.... One became a DLQ.....
Don't worry I havent been going this alone and have had an experienced Beek help me along the way. If I hadnt of needed to have done it, I wouldnt.
I think I'm just unlucky this year.

Ok, the extra info, disappearance / DLQ makes your sentance make more sense.

Yes it appears to be another 'trying' year with regards to queens mating.

I just wait patiently for mine! The big advantage I have is the number of hives and a couple of banked queens in nucs available.

Queen will emerge in 16 days, not 23 - she will start laying eggs her self if successfully mated from about 23 days onwards.Current conditions may mean a significantly longer wait for eggs to be laid!

Queen will emerge in 16 days, not 23 - she will start laying eggs her self if successfully mated from about 23 days onwards.Current conditions may mean a significantly longer wait for eggs to be laid!

oops Yes I meant to say it takes at least 23days to hatch and get mated / start laying!

Although with our climate / weather the mating / start laying part can take longer!

So yes 16days until hatched is about the only constant!

Did AS on 20/5/12, leaving unsealed QC. At inspection today I saw 2 day old eggs, so she has taken 3-4 weeks to come into lay. Last year I waited for nearly 5 weeks.

be patient it can take up to a month for a queen to start laying

Question: If she then does start laying after that long, aren't a) all the bees flyers, so do they revert back to nursing bees and b) they almost lifex anyway?

Question: If she then does start laying after that long, aren't a) all the bees flyers, so do they revert back to nursing bees and b) they almost lifex anyway?
Bees will revert back to nurse bees. When they are not nursing their life expectancy increases so a queenless colony can survive for ages (as in winter).

Latest posts

Back