When's a good time to start with a new colony?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davidpopely

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
1-2
My bees swarmed last Spring (2011) leaving me with an empty hive. I've since bought a second hive, and had planned to start again this Spring with two new nucs. However, the Great British Summer has meant that I've not been able to obtain the two nucs (with queens) which I wanted, and which I was promised, so I'm now in a quandry.

What's a good/bad time to start off two new nucs (assuming I can get them)? Obviously I would have aimed at Spring 2012 in an ideal (viz normal weather) year....do I have to wait until next Spring, is there a really *bad* time to start (snowy winters included, of course!).

If anyone more experienced than I can offer any advice, I'd be really grateful.....

why not now???

as a newbie of 2 weeks, my first cast swarm of 2 weeks, plus a 2nd I collected yesterday, although my first cast is queenless, so will try combining the two together at a later date

hi david got my first nucs early July absolutely no problems, both strong the following year ,even got afew pounds of honey the first year

Thanks....I really appreciate the encouragement. Managed to hang onto my first colony for nearly two years, but I'd like to do better this time!

Ask your local association to go on there swarm list or keep an eye out on this forum

Plenty of time to nurture a nuc or two. Just remember you want brood, not stores, for colony expansion, watch out for wasps (may not be too much of a problem this year for a change) and any decent sized colony can be taken through the winter, if appropriate precautions are taken.

I would not be unduly worried into August at least. A cast swarm now would likely have no emerging brood until the middle of August (may be lucky for early August).

Btw, bees don't normally swarm leaving an empty hive. Something else was going on there!

RAB

The cut off day for me for nucs is my brothers birthday, 10 August. Up until then I am happy I can get a good colony through winter.

Hi Oliver

Yes, I was wondering about that....they all seemed 'present and correct' right up until my last inspection a couple of weeks before the exodus, and then - nothing. Very strange....

Were there any dead bees? Any with their heads in cells.....but dead?

I would guess...and that is all it is....they starved to death. It can happen at any time, and here in Wales you have to watch the weather and their stores like a hawk. Swarms rarely leave the hive empty, flying bees go with queen leaving brood, stores and nurse bees behind. A few casts can further diminish numbers but the idea is to split the hive into two and so procreate the species, if all the bees go that doesnt happen. I will keep you in mind if I get a spare nuc
E

why not now???

as a newbie of 2 weeks, my first cast swarm of 2 weeks, plus a 2nd I collected yesterday, although my first cast is queenless, so will try combining the two together at a later date

And all this without a single hive, according to your details!

Where do you keep them? Down the front of your kecks?

Dusty

And all this without a single hive, according to your details!

Where do you keep them? Down the front of your kecks?

Dusty

Well that's rich, coming from a beek who keeps his bees on the bum of his beesuit

Latest posts

Back