When to treat with oxalic acid?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Glasgow forecast for next 10 days. +5 - 0C and rain every day.
Foraging will be interrupted.
10 mile outside of Glasgow will be different, it's like 10 mile inland from the Northumberland coast which will be a few degrees higher, and North Yorkshire where i also go, the temprature is always 5 degrees lower on the heather moor compared to the meadow land 2 mile away which is 800mtr nearer to sea level, quoting Capitals temperatures over here means jack shite.

Thankyou, really interesting reading! I would think the heat will also discolour the metal too. I'm not super fussed at present if the mesh floors are damaged as i'll be doing a phased replacement with better quality stuff but long term i'd be interested to see if there is much of an adverse effect, would prefer to treat under OMF from the rear.

We would also like to do it via the ' under OMF method' on our hives with OMF's and whilst we have been told it's corrosive, I think like you, It could have been the heat from the Varrox or even just solidifying OA that I noticed on the mesh and not corrosion, so as I only tried it under the OMF on a couple of hives at my home apiary first, I thought it better to be safer than sorry and know factually for ourselves before going hell for leather and finding out under the OMF is wrong - We all know how variable the information on the Internet can be :)

Has anyone tried vaporising a polynuc? I've got a couple of them overwintering and am tempted to leave will alone but wondered if anyone else has tried it and what method was used / what the outcome was in case I'm just being over cautious. Thanks

i lifted my polyhive onto a solid floor with an api-eke on the floor , blocked up the back, sides and front then vapourised with the varroa board out of the poly OMF

the api-eke kept the varrox away from the poly OMF floor

Has anyone tried vaporising a polynuc? I've got a couple of them overwintering and am tempted to leave will alone but wondered if anyone else has tried it and what method was used / what the outcome was in case I'm just being over cautious. Thanks

I vaped a Lang jumbo nuc through the entrance (removed blocks) two weeks ago. Used 1g of OA - half normal dose. Bees still alive, no bee deaths to see..

I did last year through the OMF. Used 1g for a P****s 14*12.

More difficult to asses the fall though.

Latest posts

Back