When to stop feeding a hived swarm?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Herbee

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
WBC
Number of Hives
We caught a fairly large swarm just over a week ago (not one of ours) & have hived it successfully with new foundation which the bees are busy drawing out at record speed. We gave some sugar solution feed as recommended in the books to start the bees off & also as the weather was wet & cold at the time.

The bees are still eating 2kg of feed a day despite the hot spell but I want to remove the feeder now as they have plenty of opportunity to forage for themselves as the weather has now massively improved. Should I remove the feeder or should I keep topping up with the assumption that if they no longer need it, they will no longer feed?

NB - there is just a brood box at the moment & I'm about to add a half to give them more space. I will not be taking nor expecting any honey out of this hive this year.

This is where the advice differs. Yes the books say...

However it is considered better to let the swarm use up any honey they have with them to reduce the risk of them having a disease in the honey.

Having said that yes stop feeding now.

They should manage fine in this weather.

PH

Fab! Thanks, will remove the feeder this evening - was costing a small fortune in sugar!!

They should manage fine in this weather.
Agreed, however, with a new swarm given only a box of foundation, will continuing to feed even in this weather help them draw out faster?

Agreed, however, with a new swarm given only a box of foundation, will continuing to feed even in this weather help them draw out faster?

As PH said, best practice is to not feed for maybe 3 days - so they consume all the honey they are carrying - rather than risk storing ANY of it and whatever nasties might be carried in it.
After the 3 days, feeding may not be strictly necessary, if there is plenty of forage available and the weather is good.
However to keep the bees in post-swarm comb-building mode, a *continuous* flow is needed -- which is where *continuous* availability of syrup can help.

The fewer hives you have, the more important it is to 'get them established' as well as possible. For the price of 5 or 10 kg of sugar, some well-drawn comb is a real bargain for the beek without a shedful on standby.
But it may not be strictly necessary (its just insurance).

Thanks Itma, good advice.

I fed straight away so risk having diseased honey but not a lot I can do about that now - will know for next time....

As for a continuous flow, they have now been fed for almost 10 days & have practically drawn out all but 2 frames in the brood box, hence why I'm going to add the half this evening.

As with all beekeeping, there isn't a definitive answer & so the question remains - to feed or not to feed?!

Thanks Itma, good advice.

I fed straight away so risk having diseased honey but not a lot I can do about that now - will know for next time....

As for a continuous flow, they have now been fed for almost 10 days & have practically drawn out all but 2 frames in the brood box, hence why I'm going to add the half this evening.

As with all beekeeping, there isn't a definitive answer & so the question remains - to feed or not to feed?!

Having recently done the same but with a cast (a 5th of the original colony) with no rules or experience to fall back on we just kept inspecting and feeding so that they had some stored but not alot, we fed syrup to start then moved to fondant. 5 weeks later they need a super.

Books can tell you only so much - they're just a guide - with beekeeping you need to understand what's going on. With warm weather, damp soil and plenty of blackberry, rosebay willow herb, privet(!) and other forage plants, there is no need to feed as nectar is coming in beautifully. That's in MY part of the world. The UK is a large area as regard the weather - when it's good here, it may be rubbish in Cumbria.
A week ago some nucs were not flushed with stores. Now they have plenty.

30 miles in he UK can be quite different weather. Seriously.

We were away two weekends ago and had two lovely cycling days the Sat and Sun, the Fri was a deluge and here it poured most of the weekend.

30 miles...

PH

30 miles in he UK can be quite different weather. Seriously.

We were away two weekends ago and had two lovely cycling days the Sat and Sun, the Fri was a deluge and here it poured most of the weekend.

30 miles...

PH

You exaggerate!

it only takes 6 miles :)

Tregarth to Beaumaris... Weather is chalk and cheese...(and around 20" or rainfail different) unfortunately I was in Tregarth.

Latest posts

Back