When to replace a queen?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
How old do you let a queen get before you replace her?

Assuming the bees don't supersede a queen themselves, and assuming that a colony doesn't need requeening to solve problems such as drone-laying or producing nasty bees, do you aim to replace a queen yourself after a certain period of time? If so, how long do you give her?

I understand that a queen can live for a few years, but presumably there are advantages to replacing her before she reaches the end of her prime. I know it's often said that a young queen is less likely to swarm, but does this really only apply to a queen in her first year? I would assume that there is an advantage in replacing a queen before egg-laying starts to drop off or becomes more erratic, and that a younger queen gives an advantage in getting a colony through the winter as there is presumably less chance of her stopping laying or dying over the winter leaving them queenless.

I just wondered what you thought the 'useful' lifespan of a queen is - from a hobby beekeeping point of view, not a commercial one!

Thanks in advance for your opinions! :)

For a hobby beekeeper, I would say not to replace until you have to. I only replace mine if their egg laying is dropping (although my bees usually sort that out themselves), their temperament is unacceptable or if they are excessively swarmy -had a colony a few years ago from a collected swarm which would invariably swarm early spring, although still produced a shedful of honey (only reason I'd persevered with them) the last time on only three or four frames of brood, her replacement was already on order but as it happens the hive next door which has a line of very good queens was being Demarree'd so I just took down all the swarm cells and popped a decent QC in from the good bunch.

Thanks JBM! That's great. One less thing to worry about in my plans - that the bees will no doubt turn upside down anyway!

I buy new Queens every year as the local mongrels are about as much use as a rock hard paint brush..don't get me wrong they are fairly calm but fail as far as honey gathering is concerned..the F2 Queens mated with mongrel drones still produce but only half the amount with added aggression..
So basically i Re Queen every year but not with all the colonies..i still have 2018 Queens in a couple of colonies doing good..
This year i will buy more Queens again for insurance.. to be honest though it is a endless argumentative subject..you best go on your journey and report back if the poop hits the fan.

Latest posts

Back