When is second quality not second quality

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I spoke to Thornes this afternoon and they definitely seemed very professional and approachable. They showed concern and asked me to split the bands on all the items and check for further faulty parts and report back to them.

Unfortunately, the school run etc got in the way and I missed the chance to phone back before close of play. I will get back to them in the morning and let them know that as suspected everything else is fine.

hello

to pitch in with my two penn'oth.

Seconds in my book are cosmetic flaws and not structural defects. What is the point of the joint if it does not join? I would certainly tell Th**nes that they are unacceptable.

The obvious lesson (learnt the hard way) is to get to a Th**nes sale, where you can reject this type of product at point of sale. Not everyone can do that but you might be able to take advantage of someone (say in your association ) who Is going to a show or trade sale and can physically buy for you.

ps it is also worth mentioning that to take full advantage of good offers such as Th**nes seconds hive parts, you will need to learn to be cute and source the bits you need for next year - this year. Plus Hive box assembly is so much better done in June in shorts with a chilled lager than in January with parts of your anatomy disengaging through cold?

It took me years to learn that one :hurray:

hello

to pitch in with my two penn'oth.

....The obvious lesson (learnt the hard way) is to get to a Th**nes sale, where you can reject this type of product at point of sale.....

Even though I am just over an hour from Wragby I just couldn't make it there on sale day due to other commitments, bizarrely though I was there only two days before for a nosey just because I was passing. Hopefully next year I will be able to make it and pick out what I need.

....you will need to learn to be cute and source the bits you need for next year - this year. Plus Hive box assembly is so much better done in June in shorts with a chilled lager than in January with parts of your anatomy disengaging through cold?

It took me years to learn that one :hurray:

I have over ordered mainly to ensure I have more than enough kit for this year, of course The best laid schemes of bees :rolleyes: and men, Go oft awry and no doubt I will either use all of it and more or none of it.

It is plainly obvious that you have seen my workshop, which lacks heating or even walls, it is merely a roof on a steel frame, great for the summer but requiring dressing like a Michelin man at this time of year.

Not fit for purpose. The split BB side that is. Phone Th**nes.

The knot issue is another matter, they are 2nds and that is with in the description.

PH

I do not know where that falls into the description ref: the knots.

Quotes from recent Th**nes emails

Seconds - in utility grade cedar which also means a few small live knots
Thirds - a few dead knots so will need remedial work to make them serviceable

end quote

Personally, I would call it a hole or even a knot hole, to call it a knot, live or dead implies that there is some material there.

This falls into the Thirds category by Th**nes own description.

To me it is not second quality. It is broken and out of quality. It is firewood.

When we think that it is expencive cedar (is it)) the result cannot be such one.

One point is that how wise it is to make so wide board. It is easy to crack.

It would be better to saw the knot and the crack off and put a healty piece of wood into the place of violated material.

nut-_und_federsyst1.jpeg

Last edited:
Thirds - a few dead knots so will need remedial work to make them serviceable

Would that knot would make an awful lot of 'seconds' frames into 'thirds'. I would find that an unecessary restriction, if that were the case.

My view of both those faults is: there appears to be adequate locating surfaces for the joint, so simply needs filling and the cracked side with just a small amount of attention would be indistinguishable from a first and the joints would hold it in place without risk of coming apart when completely assembled.

Perhaps those without the ability to make these small adjustments/repairs should refrain from buying seconds because of the risk that remedial work may be necessary.

A bee hive is a container for bees and neither of those faults would directly affect the purpose for which it was supplied. Longevity, yes; aesthetics, yes. One should not expect seconds to be perfect .

Where would one draw the line? Rough grain at the planing stage? The odd knot, dead or live? I would look at the dimensions of the finished article and not so much at the individual pieces. A box made with those parts and marketed would be a second, not a third IMO. One that would not possibly sit square and level would be a bind.

Regards, RAB

I would go on Thornes own descriptions.

After all, it is them who are manufacturing/selling/grading the product.

Mental note to self.
Make a note of all who find this level of quality acceptable and find something to sell to them £££££'s :drool5:

By all means, send them back. No longer a sale advertised item, so get your money back. No problem, if that is the way you want to go. I'm afraid I may be a little more accommodating than some when it comes to second quality sales items.

I simply look at it and consider if it is worth the outlay compared to buying new. If not, I don't buy. If I disagree with their assessment I would get in touch with them first, not go on a forum with it.

If it is first quality, it would need to be good. This is neither, not first quality and not so good. Could I live with it? - certainly, if the price was right. The bees won't care one jot.

BTW, personally, I felt the difference between the standard and jumbo boxes was too much. I would have, had I needed any, bought standards an added an eke.

RAB

I have just spoken to Th**nes again (first chance since Friday), and yet again pleasant and professional to deal with.

No arguments and no hassle, they are going to send out two replacement sides to me.

Assuming they arrive, 11/10 to Thornes.

Thornes do read all the threads on the forum that include them.
So a shout on here does allow them to take notice of feedback.

I have just spoken to Th**nes again (first chance since Friday), and yet again pleasant and professional to deal with.

No arguments and no hassle, they are going to send out two replacement sides to me.

Assuming they arrive, 11/10 to Th**nes.

Mirrors my past experiences with them, good customer service :cheers2:

I had a simalar issue last year with the first hive I bought, I didnt have a good outcome, I was told it was seconds and it was left at that! my problem was a large knot on the join that was very weak. Yes I could bodge it, but really it was faulty not seconds! Glad your problem got sorted though

Happy Bunny

Thornes came up trumps in the end, I had some great communication from them and a courier delivered parcel containing two new boards.

The boards were seconds quality (as expected) containing some knots but nothing like the big split and empty knot hole of the first set.

Overall I'm very happy with the outcome, well done Thornes.

Latest posts

Back